An Abnormal End

The team surrounded Helen as she sat in front of a number of computers in the library overlooking the data Henry had analyzed earlier.

"We thought these reports of sudden, unexplained violent behavior among abnormals were isolated incidents. But Henry's data analysis clearly tells us otherwise," she told us.

"It's getting hairy; those yellow clusters, 63 incidents in the last five days, almost all of them against humans. There's 20 dead so far," Henry told us and I sighed.

"These aren't exactly high population centers; the Yukon-Alaskan border?" Will asked looking at the map confused.

"What's particularly troubling is the pattern of distribution. Starting here in the north at Mount Logan and then following the upper airstream," Helen said.

"How could this Abnormal on Normal violence be following the wind?" Ashley asked her mom.

"It's probably something in the air," I said watching the arrows on the screen show how the air currents moved.

"My worry is what happens when it reaches population centers," Helen asked us. "Abnormals surfacing in significant numbers will undoubtedly trigger reprisals."

"You think it could be insect-borne?" Ashley asked.

"Given the cold climate, it seems unlikely. But certainly, a pathogen could be involved," Helen commented.

"Well viruses have been known to cause mass psychosis," Will added.

"What we need to find out is whether this was a naturally occurring phenomenon or something that was intentionally released," Helen stated.

"And none of the humans were affected?" I asked her.

"Not yet, no," she confirmed.

"Then we better send a human and keep the abnormals as far away from the area for as long as we can," I suggested. "We need to keep this as contained as we can for as long as possible."

I sat looking over something in the main lab when Helen walked in with John behind her.

"What's he doing here?" I asked her.

"He says he brought us news," she told me and I turned to the pair. "Forgive my skepticism John but your history of altruism is just behind a scorpions."

"Had I not dispatched Tesla, your reign over The Sanctuary may very well have ended," John pointed out. Helen and I shared a look before looking back at him as Ashley, Will, and Henry met us at the table in the center of the lab.

"Why is he here?" Ashley asked.

"Please. I am your father," John reminded her.

"Didn't seem to matter when you first met her," I said and he threw a dark look at me.

"You really want to pull that card you should start acting like a dad, and that does not mean kidnapping me when you want to spend some quality time," Ashley snapped at him.

"That is part of why I'm here," John told her.

"I'm guessing it's not about visitation rights," Will commented.

"You have frostbite," Helen noted.

"It's certainly not a reflection on your hospitality," John assured her. "Perhaps you can guess where I've been."

"The Yukon."

"I saw the carnage first hand, traced the epidemic...to its origins," he told us.

"Mount Logan." John pulled out a glass container from the bag he was carrying. I gave him a look at the broken machinery inside of it. Those of us who were abnormals immediately backed away slightly.