Shocked silence filled the air as the Crochans processed her words. They said nothing so Manon continued.

«For years I've blindly followed my grandmother, swallowing every lie she fed me. But I see her clearly now and I see that she's been wrong and blinded by hatred all this time. I do not wish to be like her, and I do not think that taking your hearts will bring us any closer to home.» she took a deep breath. Knowing this in her heart had been somewhat easy, but saying it out loud made her feel exposed. But it had to be done, she had to show them that she was not the monster her grandmother had made her to be.

The bowstrings above them relaxed, and the tension in Manon's muscles relaxed a bit as well. The rustle of branches could be heard a moment before a body dropped to the ground, and the witch walked up to Manon's side. Still Manon did not move, but she did try to get a look at the witch from the corner of her eye.

Light and gentle fingers grabbed her chin and turned her head, forcing her to meet her gaze. Eyes the colour of freshly tilled earth stared right into her own eyes of gold. The brown haired witch smiled kindly as she looked Manon into her eyes, reading the truth of her words there.

«I am Rhiannon Crochan, and I have been looking for you ever since our father was murdered.»

_______________________________________

Aelin was lying on the couch reading in the weak candlelight. She could see Rowan over the top of her book, but tried to concentrate on the text in front of her. Her eyes slid back to the warrior who met her gaze and raised an eyebrow at her.

Is something the matter? His eyes seemed to say.

She gave him scowl in return. Of course no, you idiot.

Then why do you keep looking at me so strangely? His eyes seemed to twinkle a little, he was handsome she had to admit.

She couldn't keep her blush from colouring her cheeks red. That's none of your rutting business!

When she woke up this morning she had hurried for the privacy of the roof. She gad stopped taking the sleeping medicine, and the dreams had returned slowly. Last night the dream had showed her exactly what Rowan was capable of, and she did not mean as a warrior. Oh no, she'd had to go straight for the roof to cool of the raging desire that flowed through her veins after being with him only clothed in flames.

Her mind had kept wandering back to that beach all day. Thought of it every time she got a whiff of his scent, or felt him close by. Gods, now she was staring at him again.

Seems like there's something on your mind, Fireheart. You know you can talk to me, right? His face seemed to say.

Nothing is wrong, you insufferable bastard. Now stop looking at me like that! She shot back at him. He smiled ever so slightly, a small twitch of his lips.

Looking at you like what? Humour glinted in his eyes now. He raised an eyebrow again, and she narrowed her eyes at him.

Like you are right now!

Her blush was still riding her cheeks as she noticed that Sam had entered the room and had witnessed Rowan and hers silent argument.

Her tongue got stuck to the roof of her mouth, she had no words for how embarrassed she was right now. She hoped Sam didn't read too much into this situation. She loved him, with all her heart.

«Is everything all right?» he asked, glancing between the two of them. She swallowed once and gave him a smile.

«Everything's fine, I was just trying to read. How did it go?» she said. Sam came around the couch and sat down, conveniently positioning himself between her and Rowan.

«The opium dealer has the hellfire, but he stubbornly denies it. Convincing him to sell won't be easy.» Sam began stroking her leg. Rowan stood up and excused himself, and went to take first watch on the roof.

«We'll get it, one way or another.» she said. She closed her book and placed it on the table, then climbed unto his lap. They were rarely alone these days, there were always someone with them. But right now the apartment was empty. She didn't know where Lys and Wesley had gone of to, and frankly she didn't care as she leaned in and kissed him. His hands travelled up her thighs until they settled on her hips, each touch making her want more. She slowly leaned back, breaking away from the kiss to look him in the eyes.

«I love you, Sam. You know that right?» she said, a little breathless from the kiss.

«Mmm, I might need some more convincing I think.» he said jokingly. She chuckled slightly and held her arms around his neck as she kissed him again.

She didn't know how long they had been like that when the door swung open and a feminine laugh filled the room. «Get a room, you two.» Lysandra said while she and Wesley headed for the guest bedroom to turn in for the night.

Aelin bit her lip as she smiled happily at Sam who chuckled quietly. When they were alone once more Sam buried his face in her neck. «I love you too, Aelin.» he mumbled against her skin.