13. Alone Together

Start from the beginning

I let Em stay in my lap, but she sits with her legs across my lap so that she can still see me. "Baby, why didn't you tell me about what people are saying to you at school?" I brush a fallen lock of hair out of her face and she shrugs and curls further into my side. "Hey, it's okay. You're not in trouble, I promise." I give her a soft smile but she still can't look me in the eyes. "Honey, I know that you miss your daddy and it's not fair that you don't get to see him, but that doesn't mean he loves you any less than I do." It broke my heart when Willow explained to Karlie and I that some of the other kids had been insisting to Emilie that her dad doesn't love her because she doesn't live with him.

"But daddy doesn't love me, mommy. If he loved me he would call you back or visit us." I'm surprised by her words, I didn't know that she knew I had been trying to contact him. "Oh, my love. He does love you, he's just very busy. I promise we'll see him as soon as he can visit, he told me himself." I smile at the little girl who's eyes light up, I don't want to lie to her but I can't see her this heartbroken either. "Really, mommy? He's going to visit?" I force the fakest smile onto my lips and nod, "he promised. And until then, you have all of us to love you; me, karlie, nana, papa and uncle Austin, even Meredith and dibbles." I know now that I'm going to have to track him down one way or another because the way he's currently treating his child is appalling. "Mommy, can I ask you something?" She looks up at me with curious eyes and I nod, "is Karlie going to be my new daddy?" I can't help laughing at her question, she's so innocent that it melts my heart. "No, sweetheart. One day in the far away future, if Mommy and Karlie get married, Karlie would be your mommy too, just like Auntie Cara and Auntie Kenny are both Gracie's mommies." I explain it to her as simply as I can and she watches me with furrowed eyebrows before simply nodding and turning her attention to something else.

"I need you to make a promise with me, princess." I get her attention back, "if anyone says anything mean to you again, you have to promise that you'll tell somebody. Whether that's me or Karlie or someone else, you have to tell a grown up, okay?" I show her I'm serious and she nods before wrapping her small arms around my neck to seal it with a hug.

"Good girl, now, why don't we go and make sure Karlie isn't forgetting to pack Crackle?" Her eyes go wide and she jumps off my lap, making me laugh as she runs for the stairs.

- Karlie -

"Thanks for this, Kris." I smile at my sister as we watch Taylor kneeling by the ground by the three little girls who are explaining something absolutely pointless in extreme detail, but she's acting as if she's hanging off every word that leaves their mouths. "Emilie's an angel and I can understand why; that girlfriend of your's has the patience of a Saint." I laugh along with her as I admire Taylor, she really is a Saint.

"Are you going to tell her tonight?" She lowers her voice and faces me as I sigh, "I don't know, maybe." I shake my head at myself, "I might wait until I get back on Sunday. I don't want to drop a bombshell and leave, plus I have some things to deal with before I can really tell her anything." I look back over to Taylor who's kissing Emilie's cheek, she deserves to know the truth.

"The longer it takes the harder she'll take it, just keep that in mind." She gives me a soft smile and I nod as Taylor walks over. "She's so excited. She's never really been to a sleepover before that wasn't with Grace." The woman laughs as I snake an arm around her waist. "She'll be just fine here, I promise. The girls love her." Kristine gives her a warm smile and I kiss Taylor's cheek. "Are you ready to go?" She nods and then reaches forward to hug Kristine, "just call if you need anything." My sister nods and we say our goodbyes. "Emmy, honey. Mommy and Karlie are leaving do you wanna come and say goodbye?" Kristine calls to the little girl once I release her from a hug and within seconds I feel small arms wrap around my legs.