Facade

The next day had been quiet. No one had bothered to go out, and although Violet knew she and Clem had to go wash their clothes, she simply couldn't bring herself to ask her. Instead, she sat with Tenn and AJ, watching as they colored together. "Tenn! I want the purple!" AJ said excitedly, looking up to the older boy. Tenn furrowed his eyebrows," That isn't purple," he started, before handing him the crayon. "It's Violet." The face AJ made caused Violet to give a small hint of a smile; never had she seen a boy look so surprised before. "But... That's Violet...She isn't a crayon..." AJ mumbled, pointing at the girl before looking back at the crayon, utterly confused. Violet had started to space out, staring into the campfire and getting lost in her thoughts.

"Do you feel as tired as I do?"

The blonde jumped once more, turning and glaring at the brunette who had sat across from her. "Why do you always do that...?" She grumbled, causing her to snicker. "I don't try to sneak up on you, you just never pay attention," Clem teased, before resting her head in her hand and keeping her eyes fixated on the blonde. "Enlighten me; what's so interesting that you completely let your guard down when thinking about it?" She asked again, causing Violet to blush and glare at the picnic table. "Nothing." She grunted, watching as Clem raised an eyebrow. "Sure it is." She chuckled, before glancing down to her sleeve that AJ had been pulling.

"Yes?" She asked him, the soft smile remaining on her features. "Tenn's lying." He huffed, causing both Violet and Clementine to look at him with wide eyes. "Aj, you can't just accuse someone of lying-" "-I'm not lying! It says it on the crayon! You can't even read it, so how would you know If i'm lying?" Tenn defended, interrupting Clem. "Wait, what?" Violet asked. What were they even arguing about? "Tenn is saying this is called violet! YOU'RE Violet! You aren't a crayon. This is purple." Aj crossed his arms, glaring at Tenn. Clem pursed her lips, holding back a snicker as she glanced at Violet. "I'm gonna call you purple from now on-" Clem started, causing Violet to furrow her eyebrows, standing up slightly. "Don't you dare!"

Clementine snickered, turning back to AJ. "AJ, Violet is a color." She explained calmly, watching as her furrowed his eyebrows. "But I thought she was a human...?" He asked, causing Violet to mentally facepalm. "No, not that Violet. I mean violet is the name of a color. Like blue and red." She assured him, unable to hide the shit-eating grin from her face. Aj made a small,'Oh', before turning to Tenn. "You were right, I'm sorry Tenn." He grumbled, taking his crayon and going back to drawing. Tenn smiled, "It's okay. You just have to trust me next time." Violet raised an eyebrow. "He's growing up in a world full of walking corpses, and you taught him colors?" Clementine raised her own eyebrow. "That I did. Just because the world ended doesn't mean he doesn't need to know basic colors, purple." Violet glared at the brunette, watching as she only laughed in response.

For the rest of the night, Violet and Clem had continued talking; whether it was about colors, cars, or their favorite time of year. They were both currently laid out across one of the picnic tables, the rest of the group having headed to their rooms for the night. The fire crackled warmly on their side, preventing some warmth for the cool autumn air. Their heads were next to each other, though feet going in opposite directions, Clem's hands on her stomach, and Violet's hands above her head. "What's your favorite constellation?" Clementine asked, breaking the silence that had fallen over them. Violet raised an eyebrow, turning and scanning her eyes over the other girls features. After a moment or two, Violet shrugged. "I'm not sure...I don't even remember half of them," She paused,"I know about the spoons, and I think I remember something about a lion?" She trailed off, more so asking than she was stating.

Clem huffed, looking up at the sky. "Me neither...I remember Scorpio and that's about it." Violet tilted her head curiously. "Was that your zodiac?" She questioned, only to watch as Clementine nodded. "I think so...I lost track of so much if I'm honest." She admitted, causing Violet to give her an understanding smile. The courtyard once more went quiet, the cracking wood and chirping crickets taking over. After a few more minutes, Clementine broke the silence. "Hey Vi?" She asked, hearing a hum in response. "Thank you. For being my friend..." She trailed off, causing a sudden lurch in Violet's stomach. "I guess I just...Haven't really had someone around the same age as me that I get along with so well..." Clementine admitted, not knowing Violet had stopped listening at this point.