Chapter 13

Marzia asked me to come help her get ready for the baby shower. Since they went for a pink and white theme, she had chosen a bardot ruffle sleeved dress, and cork sandals. I had painted her nails peach pink, and her makeup was done too. At least thirty people were coming, from around the world. Her mum would be coming, as well as some of her other extended family. My brother would be there, me, sis and mum.

I placed a cake stand very gently down on the table with the large baby girl cake on it, and smiled as JJ came up in front of me. "Hi, babe." He leaned down and kissed me gently.

A quiet cough from beside us split me from him. My eyes widened when I saw Mama, and my sister, Fanny. She looked as if she were stifling a laugh. Her hair was blonde, down her shoulders, and her eyes were icy blue glaciers. No warmth conveyed in them, except the grin that stretched across her face. She was the most beautiful child. "Åh. Hey Mama, Fanny, detta är min pojkvän. JJ. Han kan endast talar engelska ledsen. (Oh. Hey Mama, Fanny. This is my boyfriend. JJ. He can only speak English, sorry.)" I spoke softly, embracing them both.

"Hello, sister. And strange British boy." She said, laughing, only a faint twinge of accent. Mama stayed quiet and stood in front of JJ, measuring him up. She pushed his head from side to side, checking him, before smiling and patting his cheek.

"You're a handsome man, JJ." She said. Her Swedish accent was thicker than all of ours, combined. She had lived in Sweden all of her life, however. "In my youth, I had a man like you-"

"Hej! Stop now, Mama." Fanny said, before pulling her away. JJ simply starting laughing. I flushed with embarrassment.

"Ah, my love." He said, pulling me into his chest, and roaming his hands over my back. "You look absolutely breathtaking this morning."

"Afternoon." I say, tapping my watch. "But thank you, my handsome man." I was in a white pleated skirt with grey grid and a pink little t-shirt with white cuffs on the arms and neck. My feet were covered in fuzzy slides. I had tied my hair into a high ponytail.

"Have I ever told you that I love your hair like that?"

"No."

"I love it like that." I kissed him softly once more, before going to join Marzia as she opened presents.

*

I stood quietly with JJ, watching as Felix spoke about how he proposed, and how he found out she was pregnant. He wrapped his left arm around my waist and tugged me into his side. "I want to take you home and make love to you." My cheeks heated up.

"Is this really the time, JJ? Jeez."

"No, but it's how I feel. My love."

"Give us another half an hour at least. We've only been here two hours."

"I just want to love you..."

"I know, baby, I know. I've also got Charlene's hen do tomorrow, and you've got Cal's stag party, so we shouldn't spend all night together."

"It's not like we're bride and groom."

"No, but-"

"Would you like to be my bride?" My heart thudded to a stop in my chest. "I'm kidding, Jesus. Don't look so shocked." He said, with a laugh. I looked at him, my heart beating profusely. My cheeks flushed as I caught the look of his lips moistening, and his pupils dilating like usual. God, I loved him.

He looked back down at me, something he did a lot, I noticed, and smiled dazedly. "You're such a gorgeous man."

"Tee hee." He said, before telling Felix I was feeling sick and we were sorry to leave so early.

"Remember, Lena, dinner with the family in a few days!"

"I know, Fel!" I muttered back, before JJ pulled me to the car and drove me back to his house.

"No one's home today..."

"Perfect! Let's go get rampant."

*

I lay in the bed beside JJ, and looked at the ceiling. My brain was racing with thoughts.

'Being my bride?' Imagine if he got down on one knee right there. I think I would have died. But would I have said yes?

I bit my nails, scrunching up my nose and thinking about our six month anniversary in about a week and a bit. When I moved slightly, JJ's arm suddenly slung across my stomach. He's awake, and looking up at me. His eyes are like molten chocolate. Without another word, he just kisses me, once.

And resting his head on his hands, then resting those on my thigh, only to look up at me with those large eyes made my heart pound vibrantly.

I would have said yes, wouldn't I.