Chapter Nine

Tweak tightened the last screw on the cover to the engine, feeling it click into place. She smiled and got up, looking around the now pristine Launch Bay. It had taken a few days to get the Octopod back into good condition, but now the garden pod was fixed on tightly and the rip in the engine had been repaired. All the bangs and dents in the Octopod exterior had been straightened and repainted and, with the other Octonauts' help, been thoroughly checked over to see if she was ready. Biting down on a carrot, she swam out past the bubble engine which was whirring again softly, the sound they had all become accustomed to, and into the reef. Their near crash had dislodged some rocks and coral from the reef, but the Captain had led an operation to clean up the reef, while Peso cared for any hurt animals. Tweak had lost count of the many times she had gone out in the Gup D to lift an especially heavy rock or move some coral, but it had been worth it. Now outside stood Captain Barnacles, Peso, Kwazii, Dashi and Shellington, looking over the repaired reef as the fish went around their daily routine once more. Some had taken refuge in the Octopod sick bay for a few days while their home was fixed up, but this morning they had been returned to their homes. Tweak swam over to join them. As she approached, Dashi turned and gave her a warm smile.

"All finished, Tweak?"

"Yup. The Octopod should be ready to go."

Dashi turned to the Captain. "Permission to start up the Octopod ready for launch, Captain?"

He smiled at her. "Permission granted."

Dashi beckoned Tweak and they swum off back towards the Octopod. The Captain watched them go, then turned his attention to the Octopod. It looked great, all the dents and scratches had been painted over and repaired so it shone in the morning light rippling through the cool water.

"Ready to go Octonauts?"

The others around him looked up, their eyes matching each other's excitement.

"Never been more ready." "Yeow!" "Yes Captain."

The Captain listened with amusement to the group of excited voices before nodding to them.

"Then let's go."

"Bye reef, bye fish!" Peso said with slight regret in his voice. He had grown quite attached to some of the fish and creatures on the reef after their time in the Octopod. As they wished their medic farewell, the Octonauts swum off towards their home.

Up in the Launch Bay, all the Octonauts gathered in a group, hoping and wishing that their ship would work. Dashi and Tweak sat side by side doing last minute checks on all the functions. The Captain could hear their quiet affirmatives from where he stood next to Kwazii looking out over the sea.

"Lets hope that doesn't happen again, eh Captain?" Kwazii murmured, his tone joking but with tinges of sadness in his voice.

"Indeed, let's hope not." The Captain smiled at the lieutenant. "It'll be good to get moving again on the good old ship."

"It's enough to get your tail twisted when you're stuck in one place," Kwazii agreed, moving around restlessly on the spot.

Over by the desk Dashi did the last checks on the Octopod engines.

"Bubble engine, online."

"Check," Tweak answered.

"Garden pod, attached?"

"Check."

"All systems running at full efficiency?"

Tweak paused for a moment, her paws moving quickly over the screen in front of her as she noted everything a final time. At last she stopped and turned to look at Dashi, a growing grin on her face.

"Check." And with that she bit into a carrot. Dashi called over to the Captain.

"All systems readied. Are we good to go Captain?"

"Good to go Dashi. Let's get this ship in the water."

Dashi pulled the lever, the ease that it moved with feeling smooth, good - right under her paw. The Octopod moved slowly up. Everyone held their breath as Dashi reached for the button to make it move eastwards ...

She pressed the button. Under their feet they could feel the movement and the whir of the bubble engine as it functioned. Then the ship moved up into the water and away from the reef. Everyone cheered, the mixture of voices creating a harmony of happiness. Tweak and Dashi high fived and the Captain smiled.

"Good work everyone. We survived the storm and the Octopod is fixed. Let's hope this incident never happens again."

Everyone laughed and smiled in their happiness as the Octopod smoothly flew through the water once again, onto their next adventure.

Authors Note - Thank you everyone who supported this story and commented or voted, it really means a lot to me. This story is now completed though I've got ideas for two or three more Octonauts fanfictions at least. Please check them out when I've posted them. Thanks for reading! Izzie