As she scanned them, Kendra noticed only Ukrit looked at her. A smirk came across her face, she really did have power, they feared her, maybe she could bully them into voting her way, dispense with the necessity of a hacker. It would save her money, save her leaving an exposing data trail. Yes, he would threaten to go public, but no one would question an unfortunate accident befalling him, it would just be another sad day, the news would wash away in less than a week. Unless the person was famous, the public just read the story, felt sorry, then moved on.

"We never finished our discussion on the Exitium Proposal." Kendra looked to Martha, her storming out had halted proceedings when discussing what to do to with the slums. Martha knew she was right to leave when she did, potentially the way she did it was not the best, but she had nothing to apologise for. Why then, did she feel as if she had done wrong? Why did she try to hide by slumping into her seat? "It is clear, though, that there are differing views and the final outcome will be some time away. I, for one, am not relishing a long drawn out discussion with bickering and infighting. Therefore I give a proposal, a rather extreme one you might say. On your tablets are two possible futures for the slums, the first talks of eradication, the second redevelopment. They are at opposite ends of the spectrum. I propose we hold a legally binding vote, whichever is chosen by the majority is the course of action we will take." Kendra paused for dramatic effect. "Take your time, read the details, we can then take a vote on whether we will have a vote." She forced a laugh to appear more sympathetic, but it convinced no one.

Martha looked at the detail, starting with the redevelopment option. It was an amazing offer, no expense spared; new houses, amenities such as gyms, cinemas and shops, roads laid between the cities and slums, clean water, jobs given with extensive pay, and a team of city guards to oversee it all. This was exactly what she would ask for, exactly what those who wanted to unseat Kendra thought should happen. Bringing the slums into the fold, making sure the people living there were not second-class citizens. Yes it would take a long time to achieve, yes they would need to be careful how they sold it to the mega city inhabitants, but this was progress, this was morally right.

She gagged, halfway through the other proposal now. It was the stuff of nightmares, a horror story you told yourself was only a movie as you left the cinema. Only one phrase could sum it up, total annihilation. 'All of this over a drug, all of this to extend one person's life,' Martha thought, holding back tears as well as bile.

As she got to the end she could contain her thoughts no more, "how can you even contemplate doing this?" It came out louder that she expected. All eyes turned to her. She wanted to stand up, scream, throw the tablet once more. But that reaction had only made Kendra distrust her more. If she could not protest physically, she would have to do it verbally. "It's sick, treating people in this way."

"Well, if that is what you think, then you know how to vote," Kendra spat back.

"I shouldn't be made to vote," Martha cried. "Even thinking of killing an innocent human being is an insult," she suddenly realised she had stool up, she was now the centre of attention, the main attraction in a show she did not want to be part of. Her impetus, her argument, failed. She felt naked, laid bare in front of a panel of judges.

"If you do not want to vote, then you don't have to," Kendra took command, even when attacked she seemed to come out the stronger.

"How dare you," Martha's back was up once more, her blood boiled and the steam it created rushed to her brain. "As if I wouldn't vote, as if I wouldn't try to stop your little plan, your scheme..."

"Martha," Ukrit's voice sounded unusually loud, the shock stopped Martha in her tracks. "We know you have passion, but you must trust in democracy." His voice told of the importance of each having their own vote, their own say, but his eyes betrayed to her his true feelings. Not to reveal what she knew. With an embarrassed nod she sat down.

Martha breathed deeply, secretly thanking Ukrit, had it not been for his intervention she may have blurted out secrets, her understanding of what Kendra had been doing behind their back. Then it would be game over. As she scanned the room, she weighed up how the others would vote. Derik and Fatir would surely vote to redevelop the slums, they were of the old system that thought the food produced, and slaves brought into the mega cities, were vital to how the system worked. Lose the cattle and the entire world would tumble down. Next she came to Ukrit and Jasper, if they were telling her the truth, and she was not a hundred percent sure they were, they would vote for redevelopment. That would mean it would pass even without her vote. If they were lying, they may vote the other way, in which case Kendra's vote would leave it at three a piece. As CEO she would have the deciding vote and that meant an end to the slums. Martha's legs bounced nervously, she wiggled her fingers to stop them clenching. This could be the most important decision of her life. The more she considered, the more she realised there would be no better offer on the table. It was now or never, agree to the vote and get it right and she could make a real impact on this world. That thought, that dream becoming reality, was too big an opportunity to miss. So, when they cast the vote, she raised her hand. So did everyone bar the two relics. That was it then, in a few days time there would be a vote in secret using special booths set up for such important policy decisions. In a few days time they would make a new future, one where all were equal. Martha strode out of the board room, head held high, unable to shake the smile painted across her face.