Chapter 54

"We need to get aid packages out as quickly as possible. Can I leave you to contact Johnsonville?" Casper heard Martha say as he rushed into the boardroom.

"I shall get on to it right away," Derik replied, nodding to Casper as he slowly walked away.

Unable to contain his excitement, Casper rushed his point before Derik left the room, "I've found it, I've found who Ukrit was contacting."

Martha catapulted out of her chair, mouth a wide grin, pupils dilating. "Really, who is it?"

"Jonathon Du Puteron."

"What? The slave owner."

"Yep."

"The most horrible person of the current age?"

"Yes."

"The richest man in the world outside of Princips?"

"The very same."

"The man who is so cruel to the people he buys that they are never seen or heard from again."

"Well, he does live on independent territory."

"Still, he's evil."

"From what I can gather, that is all one big ruse. It appears he has been using his reputation as a shield against the truth."

Martha laughed, "that's genius. Who would want to interfere with a living embodiment of the devil? And all this time he is actually a freedom fighter."

"Exactly, shall I contact him?"

"Yes," Martha paused for a second, "and you know what? I think I would like to be there too."

~

"Please, can you stop pacing?" Nigel asked.

"It's just the not knowing," Du Puteron replied, "everyone else has checked in bar Luka's team."

"Stephanie said she would get back in touch when she had news. It will take her team a while to sweep the whole slum."

"I know, I know, but it doesn't make it any less nerve-racking."

"Come on, sit down. I've never seen you move so much; you'll injure yourself," Nigel laughed. "Why not enjoy this view and the delicious fruit loaf?"

"Gâche, you know it's called gâche. You're just saying that to distract me."

"And has it worked?"

"Clearly not."

Du Puteron's office fell silent for a few seconds, before the low pattering continued. Nigel met this with a wet chew as he devoured his slice of gâche. With nothing more to say, the cycle of waiting continued. A few minutes later, the soft footfall stopped. In its place came a tinkling melody.

"Erm," Nigel said, "your tablet is making a noise."

"I know that," Du Puteron responded irritably. "I have it paired to my watch, which is vibrating." Nigel gave a childish grin. "No," Du Puteron shot him down, "now is not the time for silly jokes."

"Sorry." The music continued, "aren't you going to answer it? Or do you have a bad feeling?"

"It's not that. The call isn't from Stephanie, it's from the account Ukrit uses to contact me."

"He's not dead? They were lying?"

"Maybe he was going to get framed for Kendra's death and has been in hiding."

"Well, there's only one way to find out."

Du Puteron made his way over to the tablet. Sitting behind his desk next to Nigel, he went to press the screen, pausing before touching the glossy surface. Nigel raised an eyebrow and motioned him to continue. "I'm not sure," Du Puteron uttered, "what if....?" Before he could finish the sentence, Nigel had sighed and pressed the screen.