Chapter One: The Run-in

Knockknockknock.

"Olivia, that's the locksmith, get it please?" My mom called from upstairs and I twitched at

the thought of seeing people. "Y-yeah." I muttered, rolling off the couch. I looked down at my shirt (black, tank top, showed bra strap, said 'Ask Me, I Might...') and faded, ripped jeans, sighing. I'm not changing for this dude.

    Since the murder two days ago my mom scheduled a time for the locksmith to come and put new locks on our windows and doors even though the cops said it was unnecessary; that if whoever did this wanted to kill my mom and I they would've the other night.

She didn't listen, of course.

      Opening the door, my eyes swallowed up the sight before me. He looked to be over three hundred pounds, bald, with massive pit stains and stubble that was unattractive in the largest way. If you're three hundred pounds because you're tall and at your normal weight, fine. But being short and obese? You better have a disability.

"Hey, hun, you Lone?" The man asked as I examined his name tag. Larry Winchester. This guy was definitely not related to Sam and Dean. "H-her daughter." I explained with a sigh, stepping aside to let him in. "Thanks, babe. Where's your mother?"

     I scrunched up my nose when he called me babe.

"Showering. Just get to work." I grumbled, not in the mood for socializing. I resumed my position on our couch, setting my book (Looking for Alaska) aside and pressing 'play' on my paused anime (DeathNote). After about an hour, when it was getting dark, he was done with the downstairs and began to head upstairs. I knew he'd hit my room first since it was the first door so I jumped up from the couch and trailed him up there, not wanting him to be alone in there. What if he snooped? Or stole something?

       So as he pulled back my galaxy curtains and got to work on taking off my current locks, I spread out on my bed with my laptop on my lap. A bit nosy, I decided to do some research. Typing 'Toby Rogers' into my search engine, thousands of results popped up within seconds.

"Toby Rogers, known widely as 'Ticci Toby', strikes again!" "Ticci Toby's fifth Tennessee murder was just reported…" "Toby Rogers' back story: How it all started"

I clicked on the last link, intrigued. How had I never heard of this guy? "Holy shit." I murmured when I saw a sketch of his description. He was gorgeous! The next sketch, he had a hoodie over his head, goggles, and some mouthpiece mask thing on. Is that his disguise? I began to read his story, my breath catching in my throat. Homeschooled from an early age because of bullying for his Tourettes…alcoholic dad…older sister who died in tragic car crash that he survived. His story was the same as mine, except two minor differences! Is this why he killed my dad? Because we're the same?

     Then suddenly my laptop was gone, set on the ground, soon replaced by three hundred pound of locksmith. "Hey!" I yelled, confused, thoughts racing through my head. What the fuck is he doing? I opened my mouth to tell him to piss off and waddle on off of me, but i didn't get the chance because he pressed his lips roughly to mine. HE FUCKING KISSED ME.

"Stop!" I whined, shoving his chest. "You think I'll stop? I've been doing this for months, I'm cold as stone." He spat before he began to venture his hands all over me. "Stop!" I sobbed and suddenly, he did. His eyes were frozen on my window, his hands trembling above my thighs in fear. He got off of me, retreating to the polar opposite side of the room. "G-go." He stuttered at me, jabbing a chubby finger towards the door. I complied, rushing downstairs without so much as a glance to the window, wiping at my eyes. If he was cold as stone and he cracked..I don't think I want to know what he saw.

       "M-mom, can I g-go for a w-walk?" I asked as soon as I made it downstairs, not waiting for an answer as I shrugged on my leather jacket. "But dinner's almost ready!" She called from the kitchen as I opened the door. "A-a short walk?" I called back questioningly, heading out the door anyway. I needed fresh air. I needed to be away from that creep. I couldn't let my mom see me upset. I couldn't tell her. It'd break her after everything that's happened to know what almost did.

Walking aimlessly down sidewalks and back roads and cutting through parking lots, I finally reached my destination. The pier. I live in Old Orchard Beach in Maine and the Saco Bay, part of the Atlantic ocean, is absolutely gorgeous and one of my favourite locations.

       I don't know how long I sat, staring across the yards of water, but when I stood to leave, the stars were out and shining proudly and the moon was high in the sky. Mother was probably so worried. She'd be fine, though. Taking various shortcuts to get home, I was almost there when I stopped cold. See, there's this alleyway between the neighbor's house and ours that leads to some tire warehouse, right? That's the alleyway I was on now, literally five feet from reaching the corner of my porch, but there was something in the way.

Not something…someone.

       And s/he, it was too dark to tell, was staring up at my bedroom window. "Hey, b-buddy, scram." I said, my voice harsh, but my fucking stutter making me sound like a frightened little child. "Rude." The person said, and I could tell it was a male voice, but something was off…his voice sounded…grainy…sort of robotic. "Rude? Y-you're standing outside m-my house, freak." I shot back, furrowing my brows. "I have a right..b-because I s-saved you. T-twice."

The stutter…saving me twice…Toby.. "T-Toby?" I questioned, causing him to laugh. "Oh, y-you're on fire. See ya a-around, Oli." He responded nonchalantly and then was gone. "Wait!" I groaned, but I was talking to the empty alleyway.

       -  -  -

"You had me worried sick!" My mom scolded, her eyes crinkling in concern. "Dinner's cold and Mister Larry has left! What took you so long?" I shivered at the thought of Larry but replied before she could register it. "I got distracted…I was at the bay.." at that, she just sighed. "Next time please tell me where you're going…It's nearly thirty past eight, come on, let's eat."

I sagged with relief, following her into the kitchen.. but I couldn't quite seem to calm my frantic heartbeat after the run-in.