Chapter 23.

It was nerve-racking, standing downtown in the sheriff's department looking at each face scanning and thinking hard for every face. Tyler squeezed Josh's hand as he pointed to a man in a green jacket. The tears haven't slipped the shaking boy yet but it was soon. The court was a panic attack away for Tyler but he made it out alive.

"I'm so proud of you, really I am." Tyler's mom gushed, side hugging her son. "And you," she started looking at Josh, "Thank you so much for being here for him...he's never looked at someone like you before. He hasn't even had a friend as good as you. You make him smile, a true smile I haven't seen on him in forever, so thank you so much for making Tyler Tyler again."

Josh looked at Tyler who looked incredibly embraced which he found adorable. "I'm glad to have someone like Tyler in my life. Really no need to thank me."

Eventually, the three of them left and Josh turned to Kelly. "Would you mind if Tyler helps me out with something? I promise to have him back before curfew."

"Go right ahead, behave." Kelly kissed Tyler on the head before getting into her car.

"What did you need my help with?" Tyler questioned while stepping into the passenger seat of the car.

"So tomorrow is Ryan's birthday, and we're going to get his present right now."

"Really? What is it?"

The engine of the car started, "Can't tell you."

"What," he whined. "Why please." 

"No, not yet." He couldn't contain the smile on his face.

"So the dance is tomorrow, we are still going right?"

"Of course, as long as you still want to."

"I do."

Three hours of Tyler being annoyed that Josh wasn't telling him why they wrote in the car for so long finally paid off.  He pulled in front of a house and got out the car and opened Tyler's door. Before they even got a chance to knock on the door a familiar face opened the door. "Hey, guys!" Brendon smiled pulling Josh into a hug.

"Hey, Bren." Josh returned the smile getting back in the car.

"Oh my god, Ryans actually going to have even heart attacks," Tyler stated.
-----------------------------------------------------------

After another agonizing three hour ride plus the twenty-five minutes, it took for Brendon to decide if he wanted gummy worms are not, they were finally at Josh's house.

"So whats the plan?" Tyler asked sitting on the floor.

"Brendon's going to stay here until tomorrow and then we're going to surprise Ryan at the dance," Josh explained sitting next to him.

"That's gay." Tyler laughed which caused the other two to laugh along.

"Tyler I'm 80 percent sure I am gay." Brendon chimed in with a mouth full of granola.

"Are you coming out because you've done that way too many times." Josh smiled at his words.

"I'm literally going to die if I have to hold this secret any longer," Tyler said.

"You better keep it a secret." The one sitting next to him laughed out.

"Well here's for tomorrow." Brendon threw all of them juice boxes for a toast.

"To tomorrow!"