25

T W E N T Y F I V E

━ you should have let me grant your wish

Hui, Hongseok, and Hyojong had just arrived at Changgu's house, and he was already terrified for his life in more than one way

"Okay, but how can we actually perform an exorcism without a priest?" Hyojong said, and Changgu almost completely surrendered himself to death.

"Don't we need candles and Bibles and rosary beads and stuff?" Hongseok asked.

"You forgot holy water," Hui supplied.

"Guys! Are you serious? We can't perform an exorcism!" Changgu shouted.

"What else are we supposed to do, ask it nicely?" Hongseok retorted. Changgu slammed his head against his desk as Hyojong started shouting over the top of whatever Hui was saying.

"Okay, so I Googled it and--"

"We're going to die."

"Hyojong, shut up," Hongseok said. "Like I was saying, Google says we're gonna need to look the part and we need to say, like, 'God, whose nature is merciful and forgiving, accept our prayer that this servant of yours, bound by the fetters of sin, may be pardoned by your loving kindness.' That's a lot."

"What if you're a heathen, though? And what if you stutter when you say it?" Hyojong asked. "Hongseok, you have to do it."

"What--"

"Nose goes!"

"Jesus Christ! Keep it together, this isn't a joke! This is real and we could all die!" Changgu intervened. There was a shameful silence, until Hyojong broke it.

"With that potty mouth of yours, God definitely is not gonna help us out here."

Hongseok and Hui both smacked him.

"Okay, if we're doing this, we have to be serious about it," Hui said. "What else could we possibly try? This is the only way to get rid of a demon that we might be able to pull off."

"We could just die," Hyojong muttered.

"I only know this from the movies, and exorcisms are the go-to. Is there anything else you can do?"

"Why don't you Google that?" Changgu said, voice heavy with sarcasm.

"I could just die," Hyojong said.

"Hyojong, we're gonna kill this demon and survive," Hui said with false bravado.

Hyojong looked nervous, teeth worrying his lower lip and leg bouncing. "I just feel like this isn't a good idea," he said.

"And you're right, but it's either this or we all literally die. It's been killing us off one by one, and we for sure can't trust Wooseok. Besides, he ran away, which is some major sketchiness," Hongseok said.