The Mystery of the Mysterons

One of the things that stood out about Captain Scarlet compared to Thunderbirds and the previous Supermarionation shows was how dark the series was, as innocent people were being killed off in every episode of the show... The culprits: A mysterious alien race known as the Mysterons; described in the opening narration as "possessing the ability to recreate an exact likeness of an object or person", also known as the power of "retro metabolism". The only other known person in the show who possess this power is Captain Scarlet himself; which makes him indestructible and able to heal from any injuries sustained during missions (And trust me folks, there are a lot of them...). The thing is; we don't really know that much about the Mysterons themselves... But let's go over what we do know about them...

According to existing sources; the Mysterons seen in Captain Scarlet are the remnants of the original race of Mysterons who hail from an unknown part of the galaxy and their complex on Mars is nothing more than a colony they established there. How long have they been on Mars? Well, judging by the fact that they were only first discovered in 2068 (The year Captain Scarlet takes place in); I say the complex isn't brand new... In fact, I say it's actually really old and close to falling apart; which is why they were building a new complex on the moon in the episode "Lunarville 7" (That retro metabolism ray seen in the first episode can't keep the complex steady forever). The spin off comic in TV Century 21 presents them as both energy beings as well as a collective of computers; which could be the main reason why you never see them and only hear their voice. They also claim to be a peaceful race, only deciding to get payback on the humans when Spectrum agent Captain Black carries out an unprovoked attack on them (Which is described in some sources to be against the orders that he was originally given by Colonel White, the head of the Spectrum Organisation). Also; I guess that their main weakness is electricity, since that their reconstructions have been known to die via electrocution, but that's just a guess...

So I theorise that the Mysterons were originally a peaceful race who came from a different galaxy and settled on Mars with the hopes of making peace with the people of Earth until Captain Black's attack on the complex; since then, the Mysterons have tried to get revenge on the humans by using their own kind against them as instruments of destruction. One of which was Captain Scarlet; who would later be free from their influence and has been using his new abilities to fight the Mysterons ever since...