~prologue~

"C'mon Keith! What are you waiting for!" Waves rippled onto the sand in front of the ten-year-old boy. He stared at the jewel blue ocean as if it were its enemy, but didn't back away when the cold sensation of saltwater splashed his toes. If anything, he was more curious as to what it was than scared. The little boy was pulled out of his newfound curiosity when a warm hand was placed on his shoulders.

"Keith, what's wrong? Don't you like the ocean?" Worry laced the tan boy’s voice. "I-I've never been to the ocean before! My mom doesn't..." Keith avoided Lance's gaze, ashamed and embarrassed. He never had the chance to go outside as much as Lance. "Well, that's ok! We'll go in together, oh! And I can show you how to swim! OMG wait, you've never built a sandcastle either! That's another thing we can do! Oh wait, I'm rambling again aren't I, sorry..." Lance ran a hand through his hair smiling sheepishly.

Keith only stares at Lance in disbelief, mouth slightly agape. "What? Is there something on my face?" Lance said wiping his face a couple of times. A smile soon formed into Keith's face as he started to giggle. "Keiiiiiithy, what did I do!?" Lance stomped a pout evident on his face. "Nothing, nothing! It's just that, well-" The boy paused regaining his composure.

"Well, I was just thinking, how could you want to hang out with me! I'm just the boy who's never spent a day outside the house and you're, well, you! upbeat and outgoing! Why spend so much time with me?" Keith questioned pushing a strand of raven black hair behind his ear. His voice was more serious now but a smile still plastered his face. There was a brief moment of silence between the two boys, both of them getting lost in each other's eyes.

"Let me show you why." Lance reached his hand out towards a confused looking Keith. The pale boy did a double take, looking down at the hand in front of him and then looking back up at Lance. Slowly, he slid his hand into the others. "Ok," The pale boy said breathlessly. The boy knew a blush was evident on his face, but he didn't care. Without another look, Lance pulled Keith towards the sea. "W-wait a minute, Lance what are y-you doing! Stop!" Keith squeaked trying to pull his hand out of Lance's. Lance only held on tighter but stopped like the boy requested.

They were now ankle deep into the water, the waves lightly splashing their upper legs. Lance turned around taking Keith's other hand. "Do you trust me, Keith?" "What? Lance be serious, what-" Keith scoffed at the question. "Do you trust me!" Lance said again in a soft yet re-enforcing tone. This time, Keith knew he was serious. "Of course I do, but..." Keith glance at the water sloshing around beneath them. "It's ok! Really, the water doesn't bite! And if it helps, I'll be here with you the whole time. I won't let anything get you." Lance smiled warmly at the boy in front of him giving both of his hands a reassuring squeeze. He wanted more than anything for the boy to know he was in good hands, and that he was safe with him.

"Listen, I've known you since three years old and never once did I see you outside unless I was there. I still never see you go outside unless it's for school. I was confused and a bit angry you wouldn't come outside. But more then anything I was angry you weren't getting to see this." Lance pointed out to the horizon that cast a pink and gold hue onto the pale boys’ awestruck face. "I bet you've never seen a real sunset from outside. I want to be the person who can show you just how beautiful the world is. And it's not just that. I think you're really great Keith, flaws and all, that's why I spend so much time with you. Uh, Keith, buddy, you ok you look a little weird? Your face is all red, do you have a fever of something, I'll go get- AHHH!" Lance was cut short when Keith tackled him into a hug, almost knocking both of them to the sea floor.

"Jesus, Keith if you wanted a hug you could have just said so!" He laughed hugging Keith back. "Thank you, Lance, thank you so much," Keith whispered against Lance's shoulder. "Yeah, yeah you know me, Lance the sharpshooter, he knows exactly how to shoot his way into people's heart-" Lance said raising his hands up nonchalantly. Keith let go of Lance. "You idiot, we were having a moment, you just had to ruin it, didn't you," Keith said crossing in his arms.