Chap 2

Miguel and Maria sit in two chairs in front of miguels parents. Their heads downcast as they know their about to get in trouble.
"Do you know where I found these two?" Abuelita starts. "The plaza." She finishes dramatically.
"Aye, Miguel." Miguels papa, Enrique said.
"I was just shining shoes." Miguel countered.
"A musicians shoes!" Berto announced making everyone gasp and a shoe Abel was shining get stuck in the roof.
"Miguel if your abuelita says no more plaza. Than no more plaza." Enrique pointed out.
"But the plaza's where all the foot traffic is."
"Miguel stop." Maria says."You're just making it worse for us."
Miguel pauses but lifts his head up a moment later and asks, "But what about tonight?"
"Whats tonight?" Abuelitas husband Franco asks?
"Well their having this talent show." Miguel turns to his mother as abueltita glares at him. "And I thought I might..."
"Sign up?" Miguels mama Luisa finishes.
"Maybe? Me and Maria."
Maria's eyes widen as everyone looks at her.
"Maria? What's he talking about?" Abuelita asks.
"Um...I sing a little." Maria blushes from all the stares. And the glares from abuelita.
"You have to have talent to be in a talent show, Miguel." Rosa quirks.
"What are you gonna do? Shine shoes?" Abel asks as the shoe falls from the roof and onto his head.
Miguel smirks and gets turned to abuelita. "Its dia de muertos. No one is going anywhere." Abuelita plants a bouquet of cempasúchil flowers into miguels arms. "Ofrenda room, vamanos." The three walked across the yard to the ofrenda room, abuelita wheeling mama Coco inside. Miguel looks sadly up at Maria who returns the look.
"Dont you two look like that. Dia De Muertos is the one night of the year our ancestors can come visit us." She looks up at all the photos and Miguel and Maria take that moment to try and sneak away. "I don't want you sneaking off to who knows where. *gasp* where are you going?"
"I thought we were done?" Miguel chuckles.
"Aye, dios mío...being part of this family means being here for this family. I don't want to see you end up like..."
"Like mama coco's papa?" Maria asks looking up at the torn picture.
"Never mention that man! He's better off forgotten!" Abuelita slams her hand on the table and exclaims making mama Coco ask about her papa.
"Papa is coming home?" She asks sadly.
"Calmese calmese. Don't worry mama. I'm here." Abuelita comforts Coco.
"Who are you?" Coco asks.
"*sighs* Rest mama. I'm hard on you because I care. Miguel? Maria?" Abuelita turns to see the two kids were no where in sight. "What are we going to do with those two?" Abuelita looks at the ofrenda and gets an idea. "You're right. That's just what they need."
Meanwhile, Miguel and Maria are in the attic talking as Miguel adds some final touches to his handmade guitar.
"Don't worry Maria. We've been doing this for so long, I doubt anyone will here us up here." Miguel says as he adds another string onto the guitar.
"But did you really have to add that television? I really think we'll be heard now because of it." She hands Miguel a pair of pliers to help. They hear a creak and gasp. Their heads turn to see Dante and Pepe.
"Oh, it's just you two. You need to quiet. Someone could hear." Miguel scratches Dante's ear as he grabs a golden sharpie, coloring the tooth. Maria watches as he tunes the guitar with the pliars as she pets Pepe. "Perfecto!" He exclaims. They all then move to the little ofrenda that they made out of anything De la Cruz they could get their hands on.