A summer night near a lake

On a soft summer night near a lake somewhere in Europe a young woman sat near the lake surrounded by darkness. But nor the darkness, nor the too expensive cloths she was wearing or the perfected jet fake smile could hide the sadness that lingered in the storm grey pools that were her eyes. As the moonlight reflected in her blond hears, she sat near the lake without being noticed by the world that moved on around her.

A silent whisper that that flowed along with the wind and was probably only imaginary called her name.

Amazed she looked around herself but noticed that now one was nearby. Well what was she expecting anyway? Most people were asleep at home not wandering around a lake in an expensive silk dress and stilettos.

But then there it was again a soft whisper that called out to her. “What are you doing out her? Why are you not living your to perfect life? You have it all! Why wander around at night?”

“I don’t know what to say.” She whispered back as a tear slipped down her cheek.

“Well I do. When was the last time you were happy?” the voice asked.

She looked up and was about to answer when the voice said: “No, I’m not talking about a pity trip to the mall, eating dinner with al your so called twofaced friends or the accomplishment of an impossible task at work. I’m talking about being truly happy! Do you remember being truly happy?”

“What do you want from me? If I wanted someone to remind me about just how hollow my life really is, I could have accomplished that just fine on my own.“ the girl said angrily wile the tears streamed down her eyes.

“Then do something about it take back control of your life.”

“You don’t understand, I already have the perfect life! Everyone wants to live my life.”

“But you’re not happy. Your smiles are false and never reach your eyes.  Your eyes hold a sadness that should not be carried by someone as young and innocent as yourself.”

“A lot that should be or shouldn’t be is. We can’t change the world. I have a perfect life so what if I’m not happy with it. The world around me can be happy in my place.”

“Are you really willing to live a life of sadness to please those around you?”

“I have managed to do so my whole life. Why change any of it now?”

“Because the ground under your feet is crumbling, you’re about to fall and drown.”

“I’ll just have to learn how to swim then. I’m not scared of falling as long as the world is not present to see it I’ll be fine.”

“If that is what you believe then go. Go and continue living your empty life. That fills you with sadness.”

“I will. Don’t worry about me. I know how to swim.” The women stood wiping away the evidence of crying. Then she tuned her back to the lake and walked back to her life. That was filled with emptiness and fake smiles.

 ________

AN:

Don't know why but felt a little depressed all of a sudden so I wrote this little one-shot. Let me know what you think!

SnowAngel