tWO

Miles Miller, seven years old:

I walk down the stairs, mommy is not home. She told me sometimes she has to stay longer at work. Daddy got home early today, but I pretended I didn't hear him slamming the door. I don't enjoy being around him, he is usually not polite and always yells at me for no reason.
Today I am feeling hungry. Mommy forgot to leave something to eat, it's not her fault, she has many things to do. I remember the first time she forgot it, I cried but then she comforted me and explained it had been a mistake, she was sorry.
I tried to enter the kitchen, but my dad saw me from the living room and called my name.

—You're not even waving now, or what? —The way he looks at me makes me to rapidly and shyly focus on my shoelaces. —Don't act that way, Miles. I ain't mad.

—Sorry, daddy. —I sincerely apologize and reach his cheeks to kiss him and hug him. —How was your day?

—Good.
He holds me and sits me on his lap, pulling my body against his a little bit so I won't fall off. My stomach is roaring but dad never wants me close to him, so I am not wasting my time with him only to get some food.
—What a good boy I have in here. —He smells like beer. A lot of beer. —Sweet. —He starts tangling my hair around his fingers. He hugs me by the stomach while kissing my cheeks, causing me to laugh.

—Thanks, daddy. —I answer happily about the way he is treating me today.

—And, how are you, son?

—I-I'm a bit hungry... but that's ok.

—You haven't had lunch yet?

—Mommy forgot.

—Fucking stupid... —Dad mumbles. —she ain't doing anything well.

—Don't be mad, daddy.
I turn my head so we are face to face and smile, then I kiss his cheek again. Sometimes when I am sad, mom tries to cheer me up by hugging me tightly, and it seems like it works with dad too because he smiles now.
He passes his hands under my t-shirt to tickle me. I can't help but to cackle. After a couple of seconds, he stops the tickle game and lays his hands on my tummy whilst leaving a kiss on my cheek.
—You are very funny. —I tell him and we stay silent for a while.
Suddenly I begin to feel something weird underneath me, like a tiny bugle. I try to make myself comfortable but the weird thing doesn't go away. Then I make an attempt to get down but my dad pulls me against him and stops me from standing up.

—What, Miles? You don't wanna be with me anymore? —He mumbles with a not so clear accent. Every time he has that beer smell he talks like this. Unclear and slow.

—I do, it's just...

—Then sit, ungrateful kid. —His bitter tone has come back.
I decide to obey, trying to force a smile and not cry instead. Ginning will make him happy, I know it, I'm sure.
—I remind you, Miles, you were moving your hips.

—Wha?...

—Move.
I don't get why he wants me to move, but I do it. Mommy's always saying I must obey both of them, no matter what they want me to do.
—Better than her...
I do not get his odd whispers nor his weird noises. All of a sudden he pushes me away and stands up, staring at my concerned face.
—Shit, no! What the fuck am I doing? Fuck, holy crap! I'll do it by myself... fucking sick. —My eyes can't stop looking at the expression on dad's face. —Now, what are you waiting for, Miles? Go to your goddamn room!

David Geller, seven years old:

—Pass me the peppers, sweetheart. —Mom tells me while I swallow a piece of steak. I love weekends. Mommy always cooks a big dinner for the three of us.

—Champion, pass me a turkey home run. —Dad asks politely and mom chuckles.

—If you keep playing carelessly, your clothes won't stop getting dirty.

—And the washing machine won't stop cleaning it for us, baby. —Daddy winks an eye at mom.

—Sorry, momma. We'll be careful. —A smile begins to appear on our faces, and then mom takes a napkin to clean the remains of food off my face.

—See? Even David is more mature than you are. —My dad stands up and reaches mom to kiss the back of her hand.

—He might. But I'm funnier.

—That isn't true at all! —I complain.

—Of course, it is. My son is already embittered. —He laughs at me so I stand up too and attempt to tackle him, but I am not capable of that... yet.

Bedroom of  David Gueller's parents:

—Honey... —The man caresses the brunet woman's hair. —I'm thinking... we might be able to complete our family now. —Sara turns her eyes towards her husband, the seriousness on her face is inevitable to notice.

—You actually think?...

—I did the math. My salary is enough to cover our basic needs and feed an extra mouth. Besides, David would be really happy to have a baby brother.

—Or sister. —She completes.

—So, is that a?...

—We are going to be a beautiful family, my love.

I had totally forgotten about Miles suffering on the very first episodes.
):