54 days since Seth's departure

After putting off talking to Warren for some time now I've decided today is the day. He hasn't asked Debbie to Prom as far as my knowledge goes so I still have my window of opportunity. I quickly glance in the mirror hanging in my locker rubbing the lip gloss on my lips once more for good measure. 

Mustering up all the courage I can I walk down the hallway my bag slung over my shoulder to where Warren, Justin, and Dan stand huddled in a corner. "Hey guys," I butt in their conversation ending abruptly. Justin and Dan give me sympathetic looks while Warren simply beams. "What's up?"

"Perfect timing Alyssa. I needed one more person to help. So would you mind?" Warren asks hopeful.

"Sure!" Anything for you, I almost added. 

"Well I've set up this sort of scavenger hunt for Debbie," My heart sinks. "Would you mind taking her around? I'll text you the clues." If only I hadn't waited this long. I look to the ground fumbling with my car keys. 

"I guess I could do that," I rock back on my heels speaking much softer than before. 

Before I know it Warren's wrapped me tight in his bear hug of an embrace. I've missed hugging him like this. His heart beat echos in my ear reminding me of the nights we would fall asleep like this. Warren would hold me tight sometimes tangling his fingers in my hair as he messed with it. 

I take a step back smoothing out my shirt. 

"Thank you," Warren says before returning his glance to Justin and Dan. "Now we're off to hide the letters. See you in a few Alyssa." Now I'm left awkwardly standing in the nearly empty hall as everyone heads out to the buses or their car. My phone lights up in my hand showing five separate texts from Warren. They must be the clues. I hadn't texted him in weeks, it felt weird to see his name on the screen. 

I take a seat on the plastic bench that rarely anyone sits on. I click on the messages reading through them slowly. They're so sweet and caring each one and I almost feel as if they could be meant for me, but I know they aren't. I can feel my heart shattering more with each word as I see how much he really cares for Debbie. 

"Alyssa." I look up locking my phone Debbie stands in front of me her beautiful curly blonde hair still perfect after a long day of school. "Warren text me to meet you here. He mentioned you needed me for something." 

"Yeah," I mutter. Get yourself together, I tell myself, he's over you get over him. I swallow hard the lump that formed in the back of my throat. Opening my phone I read aloud the first message. "The start of this adventure begins with your sweet tooth, which isn't nearly as sweet as you. Go there, find a clue, I promise you won't turn blue." 

Debbie's mouth turns into the biggest smile I've ever seen. "He did not!" She hits me on the shoulder quite hard actually. "You're pulling my leg." I press my lips together in a straight line shaking my head. "Oh my gosh this is really happening! Well what are we waiting for let's go," Debbie grabs my arm dragging me behind her as we take off down the hall. 

She comes to a stop at the vending machine where the letter P is tapped to the glass. Clearly a bit too excited she tears down the letter nearly ripping it in half in the process. "Alright next clue Alyssa!"

I sigh slightly unlocking my phone again. "Congrats! You've found the first clue. Now no guessing until you're through. Remember that time I turned you're gloves blue? Go there to find the second clue." 

Debbie ponders this for a moment before clearly remembering. "Chemistry class freshman year he poured blue dye everywhere nearly turning my hands blue through the gloves! I can't believe he remembers that." We begin walking down the hall towards the chemistry room. "Isn't Warren just the greatest guy ever," Debbie gushes not running this time.