⠀⠀𝟬𝟵. ❛ HE HAUNTS ME ❜

Start from the beginning

     After smoothing down the tight-fitting black dress that hugged my body perfectly, for the third time, I let out a heavy breath of air. The sound of my black opal heels clicking against the floor could faintly be heard over the loud music as I made my way to the bar. Sitting down and placing my black Louis Vuitton purse on the counter, I waited patiently.

     "May I?" a deep voice asked and I snapped my fingers, pointing to the chair right of me.

     "A single malt whiskey for me and a Crystal Head for the gentleman," I nodded to the undercover bartender, and he turned around, filling up two glasses. My British accent was perfect. I'd been practicing for weeks.

     "Single malt? Interesting choice."

     Rolling my eyes loosely, I smirked. "I only drink scotch." I clicked my tongue and looked over at the suited man. His briefcase was lying on the table and he looked me up and down.

     "You look beautiful."

     Holding back a snort, I kept my stare blank. "I know." The bartender placed down the drinks and I took a sip, watching out of the corner of my eye as the man continued to wrack his eyes up and down my figure.

     "So, what do you have to offer?" he asked, and I turned my head to the right.

     "I have many things to offer," I mused, crawling my fingers over to his drink before picking up swiftly. Taking a slow slip, I kept my eyes locked with his. "You're going to have to be more specific." I finished, placing the glass back on the counter and sliding it back to him.

     Licking his lips, he flicked his brows up before picking up his drink. "How soon could you get a shipment of opioids and cannabinoids delivered to Wildwood, New Jersey?" he questioned, downing the rest of his glass.

     "A day."

     His eyes widened and he turned his body to fully face me, "A day? Are you sure? That's impossible."

     Chuckling, I shook my head and leaned forward. "Nothing is impossible. You should know that better than anyone, right, Mr. Richards?" I asked, wrapping my fingers around his navy blue tied and pulling him close. His cheeks flushed at my words and his Adam's apple bobbed up and down.

     "How much?"

     "Five million."

     "Deal."

────

𝗣𝗥𝗘𝗦𝗘𝗡𝗧 𝗗𝗔𝗬    
𝗖𝗔𝗥𝗔'𝗦 𝗣𝗢𝗩    

     MY EYELIDS DROOPED FOR WHAT FELT LIKE HALF A SECOND BEFORE THEY SNAPPED RIGHT BACK OPEN, THE FAMILIAR GREY WALL STARING BACK AT ME BLANKLY. The lack of sleep was progressively getting to me, for I kept fazing in and out of consciousness. Spencer had left the room long ago to talk to the rest of the team. I didn't know what they'd discovered, but it must have been significant because I'd been alone for an hour, forty-four minutes, and nine seconds. I had no idea what time it was. All I knew was that it was for sure past midnight.

     Lazily kicking off my stilettos and tossing them across the small storage room, I leaned further back into the right corner of the room. Curling my legs up to my chest, I wrapped my arms around them softly before leaning my head against the wall. My eyes slowly shut and I allowed the darkness to consume me whole. It made me feel as if I was dead. Reality could no longer reach me from the depths of the abyss I was in. The pattern of my breathing was all I focused on; everything that happened today and the days before it were out of my mind. A sense of innocent peace shaded over me like a cloud in the sky and every muscle relaxed. The feeling of paranoia was gone.