5

Steve came out of the house a few minutes later.

He was followed by a couple kids, "Can we pet it?" The two pleaded loudly.

I curled up to make myself smaller.

"Not yet, when the little guy's older maybe," Clint told them as he got up.

The two kids started to sulk as he plucked me off the ground.

"Let's get this over with," was all Clint said before he started heading towards the wooden building.

Steve wasn't far behind.

I tucked my face in the crook of Clint's arm as he walked in the barn.

"No horses?" Steve asked as he entered the barn.

I slipped my face between Clint's arm and his side.

"Haven't had the time for any, Laura would've had to have taken care of it. I haven't gotten any recently because I haven't found any I like," Clint answered as he set me inside a wheelbarrow full of empty feed bags that had pictures of chickens on them.

I shifted around and tucked my legs under me, curling up in a ball.

Clint watched me until I stopped moving before he gave me an ear scratch and walked off.

"So, what first?" Steve asked.

I heard a latch slide open before a creaky door swung open.

"First, we're oiling the fuck out of this," Clint informed as I picked up my head to look over the side of the wheelbarrow.

"Language," was all Steve said as Clint crossed the room to grab a spray can.

Clint rolled his eyes as he popped the top off of the can and sprayed the hinges of the door.

I flattened my ears as Clint tested the door, it was silent.

"That's much better," he commented before he and Steve entered the stall.

"So we need to sweep all of this out before we do anything," Clint announced after a few seconds of silence.

Steve left the stall and grabbed a big broom with a long head.

A multicolored form slunk through a hole in the wall, sniffing at the ground before it strolled towards the wheelbarrow I was in.

There was a scratching along the floor as Steve and Clint swept the floor, the form merely twitched an ear in their direction before continuing on its way towards me.

It leapt into the wheelbarrow and landed on top of me.

I bleeted loudly in panic, gaining both Steve and Clint's attention.