Red Riding Hood Goes Trick or Treating: Chapter 3

Start from the beginning

"Okay what story would you like?"

"Little Red Riding Hood!" she cried. I just rolled my eyes and obliged. I got her into her pajamas and lying down before telling her the story I knew by heart from telling it to her so many times already.

"Once upon a time, there was a young girl. She was 12 years old and still very naive to the ways of the world. She lived in a small village bordering the woods. She lived with her mother in a tiny cottage close to the center of town. Now this little girl had a special nickname. Everyone called her Little Red Riding Hood, because of the Red cape she wore everywhere since she was five. Little Red loved that cape because her Grandmother made it for her.

Now one day her mother told her to go visit her grandmother with a basket of goodies because her Grandmother was very sick. Her mom said that she would come get her after she ran her errands. She also warned Little red to stay on the path, because the woods were very dangerous, and not to talk to strangers because they would sweep her up in their arms and carry her away.

Little Red made her journey along the forest path being sure not to move away from it. When she had walked half way there she was very tired and decided to sit on some grass right at the edge of the path. Little ed thought that would be smart because she would still see the road.

She sat there for ten minutes, but as she got up to head on her way a wolf surprised her. 'Don't be scared Little Red. I didn't mean to fill you with dread.' He spoke ever so clearly. Now the wolf knew what was in the basket and he was getting weak with hunger. He thought he could trick Little Red into giving him the basket.

'You didn't scare me Mr. Wolf, but I do have to be going before I goof!' " Okay give me a break. I'm not the best with rhymes and Katy thinks everyone should use rhymes in a fairytale story.

" 'Oh Little Red before you go, here are some flowers white as snow. You can pick them for someone you know.' He said hoping she'd set down the basket.

'Oh thank you Mr. Wolf, that's very kind. They're my sick Grandmother's favorite and it will soothe her aching mind.' When Little Red didn't set the basket down the wolf grew angry and decided to try a different idea to get the basket.

'Little Red where does she live? I have a shortcut I could give.'

'Oh she lives just up the road, I better get going soon with my load.' His anger grew and he decided he didn't want the basket anymore but Grandmother stew with Little Red meat pies. Then he could have the goodies in the basket for desert.

'Don't forget those flowers Little Red. While I go visit your Grandmother while she's in bed.' Now Little Red was to focused on picking the flowers to hear the wolf's last sentence. The wolf walked up the road and knocked on the little Grandmother's door.

'Who is there, I must say. If it's Little Red then it's okay.' The wolf imitated Little red to get in the small cottage.

'It's I Little Red, I've come to visit you while you're stuck in bed.'

'Come in Little Red, come in. Don't stand outside but come within.' The wolf quickly opened the door and in one bound he was on Little Red's poor Grandmother. Before she could scream he had already gobbled her down whole!

Now he knew Little Red was coming with her basket of goodies and she had to have a Grandmother to call out to her. So he put on some of the Grandmother's clothes and climbed into bed.

No sooner had he pulled the covers over himself did Little Red's voice call out from the door.

'Grandmother, Grandmother, here I am. And along with some goodies and treats I have brought a little ham.'