Red Riding Hood Fights Back: Chapter 19

Important Notice at the end of this chapter!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The wood felt smooth underneath my fingertips as I looked into Caleb’s eyes. I could see his anxiousness as he looked between me and Aramina and I could see the excitement in them as my wink made him think I was choosing the werewolf box. I lowered my head to stare at the boxes in front of me, letting my hair cover my face as I started to speak.

“I will become a Huntress, Aramina,” Caleb started to growl and backed up slightly in betrayal, Aramina starting to chuckle, but I cut them both off, “But I will do so on my own terms.” I looked up at Caleb as I made my choice. I got a good grip on both of the boxes as I dived underneath Caleb’s body to avoid Aramina’s rage. I crawled out, having a hard time with a box in each hand and my mother’s book in the back of my pants, from behind him and started to run toward the fire escape. Caleb chased after me and I could hear Aramina close behind us as shots fired off close to us. When I made it out to the main hallway I could see many of the werewolves in human form and pinning some of the girls against the walls. I could see my friends, which now included Julietta, all in a line with men to close to them. I could tell right away that they had found mates.

When Aramina came into the main hallway her gun was out of bullets and she realized she was out numbered. Caleb transformed back into his human self and ordered some of his men, ones that weren’t busy ogling their new mates, to capture Aramina. He was about ready to give the order to kill her but I grabbed a hold of his hand, letting both of the boxes drop. The boxes landed on their lids, keeping them closed for the time being.

“Don’t Caleb.” I looked right into his eyes and willed him to calm down with my own.

“She is nothing but a threat to us.” He said, his eyes going back and forth between us.

“A threat who knows who her other half is. We don’t know who the other half of the Grand Master is and as long as she is about she can still harm us.” I knew Caleb enough to know that he understood my reasoning was sound, but he was fighting with his inner instincts to hurt anyone who had even attempted to hurt me.

“Did she do this to you?” he said looking at the bruises and cuts all over my face and arms.

“That isn’t important right now Caleb.” A growl was heard from deep within him and I had barely a moment to wrap my arms around his torso before he started to lunge at her. My weight kept him in place for the time being as he held me almost to tight to breath. Despite the pain of the bruises and lack of air I still felt comforted by his warmth and nearness.

“She hurt you, of course this is important.”

“Caleb, please. For now just keep her alive, you can hurt her as much as she hurt me and more while getting the information we need out of her. She is worth more to us alive then she is dead.” I hugged him tighter to me and nuzzled my head into his chest, knowing it would help calm him down by spreading my scent. I could almost feel the wolf in him back off as I spoke as if the promise of pain and blood at a later moment kept him sated for now.

“She will escape if we keep her alive.” He breathed into my ear. The small hairs that surrounded my face were blown against my ear as he spoke, tickling me and making me giggle. I could feel Caleb laughing slightly as I did and I knew I was close to winning the battle.

“Then keep her heavily sedated and handcuffed to a hospital bed under twenty four hour guard. How could she escape that. The eclipse will be over soon and nothing can happen then anyway.”

“Except for as soon as either of you step outside your huntress selves will join with your human selves.” He played with my braid to keep himself calm, but I knew his need to protect me was becoming strong again