Red Riding Hood Goes Trick or Treating: Chapter 3

Start from the beginning

"Happy Halloween Mrs. McDonald!" I told the blond beauty of a woman in her mid forties. She had beautiful chocolate brown eyes that seemed to melt whenever she was happy.

"Hello Vanessa! I haven't seen you in a while. How's school?"

"It's going great! I actually came to talk to you about something. Katy gave me a gift today and when I asked her where she got it she said she took it from Turner who originally took it from you. I thought you might like it back." I said all of that and then held up the necklace.

"Oh, thank you I was wondering where that went." Her eyes seemed to gloss over and then she started talking under her breath. I don't think she even realizes she's talking out loud. I caught most of it but it was all vague. "Wait they changed. It's no longer mine. I wonder if Caleb knows." She looked back at me fighting the gloss over in her eyes and said. "Today is your Birthday right?"

I gave a meek nod not really wanting to admit the truth. "Please don't say anything to anyone. I really don't like a fuss over my Birthday."

"Okay well I'll make you a deal. I won't tell anyone as long as you put that necklace on right now and you keep it for yourself."

"Oh I couldn't do that! It's yours!" I quickly spoke my rebuttal to her but she put up her hand at the end of it. She took the necklace out of my hand and turned me around. Before I knew it the necklace was on me and it looked perfect with my outfit.

"And now it's yours." She said with a wide grin on her face. I got the feeling she knew something but was hiding it. "It looks beautiful on you Vanessa."

"Thank you Mrs. McDonald. I better go find Katy. Do you know which way Caleb went with his brother?" Her face turned dark and I knew something was off.

"He didn't go out with his brother this year. He went for a run in the woods."

"Oh good. That means I don't have to avoid him this year."

"Why would you avoid my son?"

"No offense Mrs. McDonald, but your son is a big jerk. Maybe not to everyone but most certainly to me. We even have this bet going right now that one of us will break and look at the other's eyes first. It started when he said his eyes were great and I said that it isn't hard to not look at them. We made a bet and we haven't looked at the other's eyes since. It's been a month today actually."

Comprehension seemed to dawn across her face. I guess she finally found out why I only talked to her when Caleb wasn't there and then avoided her like the plague when he was. "Oh." Was all she said.

"Yeah well anyway I better get Katy, she's most likely upset that we haven't been to three other houses by now." We both chuckled a little before I put my hand up in farewell to find Katy.

I finally found her trying to sneak into the older kids section. "No Katy. If you go in there then you will have nightmares for a long while."

"Aw but I want to go in Nessie!"

"How about we go visit more houses and then maybe on the way back you could." Like that's going to happen.

"Okay."

We went around to all the houses in the community. I do have to say one thing about this place. All the people are incredibly fit and tan. What kind of supernatural being could be placed here I wonder, because this is not a neighborhood of the united states. Not one grumpy old fat guy living anywhere. At least my English teacher lives in the neighborhood over and I had two eggs on me screaming to be thrown at her house.

I let Katy stay out until it was almost dark and then we walked back to the house. My eggs were left behind fimrly planted on my Teacher's front door. When we got back it had been dark for a good ten minutes. "Will you read me a story?" Katy asked.