Chapter 7

Ava woke up with a loud groan, slamming her alarm multiple times with her fist in an attempt to find the snooze button.

"Shut the fuck up you stupid ass machine," Ava snarled, her voice gruff and croaky. She heard laughter from another room, and it only made her more frustrated.

"Ava, my sweetheart, you have to wake up. I just found out that I have to leave today because I need to go back and check on the new store that's opening. Apparently there are some setbacks that are keeping us from opening it," Johnathan explained, which made Ava even more aggravated.

With an angry grunt, Ava sat up, frowning as the sun shined through the window above her desk. She was about to lay back down when she heard a happy bark, which caused her to smile brightly. Truffle scrambled onto Ava's bed, using the small chest at the foot of it to help him get on the bed. The second his paws touched the comforter, he ran at Ava, barking merrily as he jumped into her lap.

"Good morning you little twerp," Ava giggled, running her fingers through his golden fur. Truffle looked up at her with his mouth wide open, his tongue lolling out to the side as he barked, startling Ava.

"I get it, I get it," Ava mumbled, picking up Truffle as she climbed out of bed. Her hair a wadded up mess, Ava stumbled into the bathroom, flicking on the lights. Ava whimpered as the light hit her eyes, and Truffled whimpered and sniffed her face, licking her nose when he deemed she was alright.

Ava rolled her eyes and placed Truffle down on the bathroom counter, smiling as she watched him play with his reflection in the mirror. Looking away from her puppy, Ava decided it was time to get ready for the day, since she and Ray had decided to hang out today, and she cringed the second she saw her reflection.

Ava picked up her hairbrush and brushed through her hair, watching Truffle as continued to play with his reflection. Once that was done, she brushed her teeth, grabbed Truffle, and went into her closet to pick out something somewhat decent to wear. After a few moments, she picked out a grey sweater and some dark blue jeans. The temperature difference was already starting to get to her, since it was so much colder here compared to Mississippi, where the weather seemed to be bipolar.

Looking at her reflection in the mirror, Ava decided she looked nice enough to go out, so she left her room, Truffle following closely behind her. She walked into the kitchen, not at all surprised to see her Dad making breakfast.

"Hey, can you make some extra, a friend I met at orientation yesterday is going to come over and then he's going to show me around town," Ava asked Johnathan sweetly, kissing his cheek before sitting down at the built in bar.

"Of course. I'm surprised you've managed to make a friend so quickly. Most people don't make any until their second week," he rambled, grabbing another plate for Ray before filling it full of food.

"Well, he seems very shy, so I imagine I was just very approachable to him. He's lived here for quite some time too, and he doesn't have many friends from what I gathered," Ava explained, picking up the plates and sitting them at the table in her dining room. It still shocked her this entire house was hers, and it hit Ava how lonely she was going to be.

The doorbell rang as Ava placed down the plates, "That must be Ray Dad, I'll get it," Ava called out. After placing the plates, she walked to the front door, not at all surprised to see that her father had already answered it.

"I hope you don't intend on hurting my daughter at all young man. She's been through enough pain these past few weeks, and she doesn't need you causing more," Johnathan scolded, which caused Ava to groan in embarrassment, slapping her hand to her face.

"Dad, seriously, there's no need for that," Ava laughed, yanking on the back of his shirt, pulling him away from the door.

"Good morning Ray, come on in. Just a bit of a warning, I do have a dog," Ava smiled, moving to the side so Ray could come inside.