9

I walked around town fetching some food for dinner. I was excited to spend another Christmas with my mom. And then go hang out with Riku after opening presents.

I walked around town for a bit, I then see Daichi walking my way in the distance. "Hey Daichi." I say once I'm near him.

"Oh, hi Kumi. How's your Christmas going so far?" He asks.

"It's great. Just fetching food for dinner. How about you, how's it going?" I ask.

"It's good I guess. I'm just heading to Nao's place. I was hoping to spend Christmas with her this year, but something went up. So I'm going over to check on her. What about you, who are you spending Christmas with?" He asks.

"My mom. And after I always go over to my friends house and hang out with her. We always bake a cake and watch a bunch of movies. But it's fun. And I hope things turn out well with you and Nao. I'll see you later." I smile at him.

"Bye Kumi, Merry Christmas." He says.

"Merry Christmas." I wave to him.

The rest of the day was just about my cooking. And after that my mom and I decided to watch a movie. Sadly she ended up having to work really late. So I went to hang out with Riku.

"Can you pass me the water?" She asks.

"Sure." I say. "Question, why are we making two cakes? We usually just make one and share it."

"I was thinking you and your mom can share one cake. And then the other cake can be all for me." She says smiling.

"Fat much." I joke.

"No, just hungry." She laughs. "How is it that you have flour all over your face?" She says brushing the flour off my face

"How would I know." I say slapping her hands away. "Focus on the cakes. What kind are you making anyway?" I ask.

"The usual, chocolate." She says.

"You love chocolate too much." I said.

"Nothing's better then chocolate." She smiles. "And what about you? What are you making?"

"I made a velvet cake. My mom lives velvet, so that's what I'm making." I say.

"I have a question too. How is it going with you and Daichi?" I hit her stomach.

"I told you. There's nothing going on with me and Daichi. We're just friends." I say.

"That's what they all say." I slap her stomach once more.

We watch a movie as we let the cakes bake. After there done, we add the frosting and let them sit for a while to cool down.

The movie finishes and it's time for me to leave. "I'll see you later, Riku." I wave.

"Bye, Kumi. Merry Christmas!" She waves.

"Merry Christmas, Riku!" I wave back holding the box with the cake in it.

I start walking back home. Then I realize I don't have much to do. So I decided to go see the towns Christmas tree. I admired how bright it was and all the colors in it.

"Hey there." I turn around to see Daichi.

"Hi Daichi. What are you doing here?" I ask.

"Nothing much, just wanted to see the Christmas tree was all. It's really pretty in the dark."

"Agree." I say. "So, what happened with Nao?" I ask.

"It was okay. She ended up getting a fever though. So I take care of her most of the time. This is not how I expected my Christmas like this year." He sighs.

I looks over at me. Then at the box. "What's I'm there?"

"A cake. Me and my friend made it. It's for me and my mom but, she ended up having to work today. Sadly she doesn't get out in another three hours or so." I sigh.

"Is that your tradition for Christmas? To always bake a cake?"

"No, I usually eat with my mom and watch a movie and have some dessert. We would always go to a small ice cream shop that was near my house. Then I would go to my friends place and we'd watch a bunch of movies and bake a cake. Sometimes we'd pull pranks on each other as well. What about you? What's your Christmas tradition?" I ask.

"Nao would come over to my place. We would eat, watch movies, and open present. She always got excited over the smallest things. It's something I like about Nao. How she's always happy." He said.

"I could never understand how she can be like that. It's amazing though. I wish I was like that all the time. Always happy and carefree. I like that." I say smiling.

The wind blows straight at us. And I start to shiver. Terrible idea wearing a skirt. "You cold?" Daichi asks.

"Kinda. Bad idea wearing a skirt today." I chuckle at myself.

"Here." He says. I look over at him. He takes his jacket off and ties it around my waist. I noticed how close his face was to mine. I look away trying to hide my blush.

"Th-thanks." I stutter. So embarrassing.

"No problem." He smiles at me. I smile back but look away to hiding my blush. Why am I being like this? Especially around him? "But you should wear some pants next time. Why wear a skirt during winter?"

"I guess I cared more about how I look and less about my health. Probably a bad idea. Probably just wanted to look nice for once." I said.

"You look nice everyday. But today you look really pretty." He smiles.

I can feel myself blush madly. How could he possibly say something like that so casual?

"Th-thank you." I stutter again, blushing. I hate myself.

"Everyone at school was always talking about how they wanted to be with someone they really liked on Christmas. I guess I got that idea stuck in my head to much and really wanted to be with someone special today. What about you, do you have someone special?"

"No, I haven't found someone yet. And I don't think I will sooner or later. I'm not that interesting. I don't think I'll find anyone at all." I said.

"Are you kidding me? You're really pretty and super nice. Quite funny too. Someone out there is dying to be with someone like you. You just wait. You'll find someone."

"Thanks, Daichi." I blush.

"Can I walk you home?"

After Daichi walked me home, I took a shower and went to bed. I didn't sleep. I couldn't sleep. I just laid there thinking. Thinking about Daichi. Why was I like that today? Why am I all of a sudden like this because of him? Why? He was only being really nice to me today. Just like he was every other day. But why is it today that his kindness made me feel like that.

Daichi is nice. Daichi is cute. Daichi is basically every girls dream boy. But I don't see him in that way.

Or do I?