OLD VERSION Chapter 20: Respect is earned

Start from the beginning

"Hey" someone interrupted him. "Don't call Nate an asshole. The only asshole here is you"

"When I thought we let a Sub treating us like shit for years"

"Never in my life am I going to obey you"

I felt Kyle stiffening next to me, and grabbed his arm before he could leave. 

"What is it, Nate? Haven't you had enough? Is it you taking your revendge for what I did to you years ago? I understand why you did it, trust me, but I want to leave now"

"Kyle, I whispered. You can never be a chief if you only rely on fear. You have nothing more to lose, now. Talk to them"

"And say what? That my uncle used to beat me so hard I would wet my bed at night when I was fifteen?"

"Well, tell them the truth, for once"

He looked at me and for a moment, I thought Darren had been wrong and that I hurted my mate for nothing. But then, resolve appeared in his eyes and he looked at our pack. 

"That's right, I am a Sub" he started. "And you know what? I never wanted anyone to find out. It was my biggest fear, and it had been exhausting to live like that"

Everyone was silent now. All the eyes were on him. I looked at my brave mate, who resumed:

"I know you all hate me. When I turned out fifteen and my uncle realised I was a Submissive, he taught me the hard way how to become a Dominant. Because, you see, for my uncle a Dominant was someone who is cruel and uses his physical strenght to inspire fear"

I already knew Kyle's story, but it was as hard as the first time to hear it. I wanted nothing more than holding him tight in my arms right now. He took a brief pause, then spoke again:

"The training was so intense that I quickly became very buff. I also learned how to hide my emotions and always be cold and composed. That's when I lost all my friends and started spending the little of free time I had alone. But somehow, it felt safe to be alone. I was so afraid of my dirty little secret being discovered. I knew my uncle would not hesitate to kill me, if someone found out. Being alone made it easier to keep my secret"

"I was the one who kill him. I could no longer take it, and the suppressants made it harder to resist my wolf, who was so mad at my uncle, the last family member I had and someone who was supposed to protect me. When he died, I thought I would finally be free and loved. But I could not do it. I could not bring myself to voice the truth. I hated myself for being a Sub, and I had gotten used to being a strong Dominant nobody liked. So I kept taking the pills for years"

"But now you all know my secret so I guess I won't bother you any longer and I will take my leave. I'm sorry, guys, for everything. I am going to shift, so you will know that I am not joking and that I am actually a Sub"

A sound of broken bones, then a beautiful white wolf appeared in front if us. The silence was so absolute you could hear a pin drop. Then, suddenly, a slightly shorter than average werewolf timidly approached Kyle and I. It was Ed, one of the only wolves who talked with Kyle from time to time. He crouched down, so that he was at eyes level with the white wolf. 

"You were the only one who never threw the fact that I was an omega in my face" he started. "In fact, that's only thanks to you that omegas now have a chance to become who they want to be. You might have been harsh sometimes, but you were never cruel or unfair. And knowing how much courage it takes to tell the truth, after years of hidding, I respect you even more for that. So I, Edward Critchley, recognize you as my new Alpha, until Darren comes back". 

With that, he bowed and scratched my mate's head. 

After that, all of our warriors and pack members approached Kyle, one by one,they bowed in front of the wolf and sometimes even lightly caressed his white fur, marveling at his rare beauty. Sensing that Kyle was feeling overwhelmed, I ordered everyone to leave, saying that the training was posponed until tomorrow. They left, and I took the beautiful wolf in my laps, enjoying the softeness of his fur. He licked me, more pliant in his wolf form. 

"Do you really believe that ?" Kyle questionned through our mental link. 

He shifted, and a red-eyes Kyle faced me. 

"You betrayed me!"

"Don't you understand, Kyle? I had to do it. You could not keep up living like that. It was slowly killing you!  Now they are respecting you more than before and -"

"I'm leaving"

"Hell, no, you're not -"

We both jumped at the same time and I managed to pin him down on the ground, but he was struggling and screaming. If he managed to broke free, he would run again and I knew this time we would not be able to find him. 

"Darren" I thought desperately. "Please come back"

So, I hope you don't all hate Darren and Nate now and understand why they did it. The real question is: will Kyle be able to understand it as well, and forgive his mates? I'll try not to take too long to update next chapters. As usual, thank you for voting, commenting, and so on. Of course you don't have to, but it's always greatly appreciated. 

Until next time,

xxxx

#Hasnoshame