OLD VERSION Chapter 20: Respect is earned

Börja om från början

"They hate him, though. And with good reasons, I can't deny that"

"That's why you have to do it, Nate. We're going to change that. Kyle will thank us for that later"

"Somehow, I strongly doubt he will"

Darren laughed faintly, then added more firmly "Do it, love. You promised you would not back out at the last minute"

I sighed "I will do it. Are you going back once it's done? Kyle is going to be very upset. I don't think I will be able to handle him for very long". 

"I will be back shortly, love. I promise"

"I miss you, you know"

"I know"

"Kyle misses you too. He tries to look unaffected, but he is constantly muttering your name in his sleep"

"God, it's so hard to be apart from you, Nate. I love you both so much"

"We love you too"

"Good luck, Nate"

And with that, he was gone. Count on Darren to always let me do all the dirty work. I opened my eyes and found my pack members looking at me expectantly. Next to me, Kyle was showing signs of impatience. Right. Let's do it. 

"As you know, Darren is away for the moment. As his second in hand, Kyle will now take the lead, meaning you will have to listen to him and to obey him as if he was Darren"

They all nodded, their eyes full of hatred and I could hear they thoughts loud and clear: but he is not Darren. Darren is kind, soft spoken and considerate. He is a natural born leader. Kyle is just a brute. I heard Kyle sighed softly, looking a bit sad. He could probably guess what they were thinking about, too. Which reminded me why I had to do it, even if it costed me my mate's affection. 

"Okay, he started. Now listen to me, your fuckers. I will -"

"I'm not finished" I interrupted him. He growled,  looking equally surprised and angry. "He will now shift in front of you and you will all stroke his head if you accept him as your Alpha, as the protocol requires"

"What?" he jumped. "There is not such an absurd protocol"

I discretly nodded at Yanis, who immediately got up on his feet. "Actually, there is. You have to shift and we have to recognized you as our new Alpha. Otherwise, our wolves won't obey"

Kyle looked at me, hurt and betrayal floating in his eyes. I just wanted to comfort him right now, but it had to be done. 

"I won't shift" he protested weakly. 

"That's fine, but then you have to give your pack a valid reason for your refusal"

"Why are you doing that to me, Nate?" he whispered brokenly. 

"Say it" I ordered, refusing to let my emotions showed. 

"Okay. I'm a Submissive"

"They could not hear anything, Kyle" I replied, feeling like the worst asshole on earth. 

"I. AM. A. SUBMISSIVE" he yelled, infuriated. 

They gasped. All eyes were now on my beautiful mate. "Is that a joke?" someone questionned. "Cause I don't find it funny at all"

"That's right, you heard me, you morons" Kyle mocked them, some of his spunk back. "I am a Submissive. That's why I no longer wanted to shift, because my wolf has turned fucking white"

"But how - "

"Suppressants. I have been taking them for years. Unfortunately, they are no longer working and I my so-called mates won't let me take stronger ones. They don't want to risk it because they love me or some shit. Right. You just saw a proof of their love for me. The asshole by my side is humiliating me on purpose".