Stars

Shoma pushed aside his messy fringe out of his eyes, as he cupped his face and placed his elbows on the desk he was sitting at.

The lights were off, and the room was dimly lit by the moonlight the streamed in through the window, casting a murky white glow on the ground, so that the furniture was visible enough to make out. Gabrielle would probably deem this as an aesthetic photo. Patrick would post this on his feed with some sort of barely inspirational caption. But Shoma was Shoma. He was supposed to be sleeping, so he couldn't look at his phone. Instead, he was searching the night skies for a star. Something that didn't require a screen. Romantic as it was, Shoma was sure that we would all agree that it is better than counting sheep any day. Alongside that, he thought about the days he had spent in this new country.

The days in school went past real quick, and it seemed almost as if he had been living in the student hostel all his life. All Shoma could think of now was the upcoming homework he had to hand up, or how he was going to study in school whilst juggling gaming with Sota and Yuzu. Although he had his daily video calls with his family back in Nagoya and the visits he pays them during the holidays. But on the whole, his life back in Japan just seemed like a faraway dream sometimes, old memories that took place long ago.

Shoma squinted, trying to recall the first time he had arrived and what had happened.

Yuzuru.

Yes, that first impression he had on his kind, sociable, Pooh-loving, friend.

Shoma remembered now.

Back then, he was so scared of stepping into this new world, out of the protection of his family and neighborhood, far from his friends, far away from all those he loved and was familiar with. So afraid of everything new, that he jumped to assumptions.

Shoma stifles a laugh, peering over at Yuzuru, who was lying sprawled on his bottom bunk.

How he had thought of him as a gangster, Shoma didn't know. The wound Yuzuru sported was misleading, to his defense.

And then, Boyang.

That was another funny encounter that he had on his second day.

Shifting the weight of his head onto his chin which rested on his open palm, Shoma gazed out of the window, smiling slightly.

He still remembered the expired noodles. And the vomiting experience. That was impossible to forget. Up until now, Shoma still was wary of any food he was given, dutifully checking the expiry date.

Shoma still wasn't clear why Boyang had dumped him with the expired noodles though. It was very well to be said that, Boyang was just a confused Chinese boy that didn't understand much.

But on a normal basis, Shoma didn't even have the slightest clue what was going on in Boyang's brain, let alone his life.

For example, just a few days ago, when he was over at Boyang's, he caught a glimpse of a conversation that Boyang was having with someone else.

Now, Shoma wasn't trying to be like those nosy girls that poke their noses into their 'best friend's' business like they had the right to; neither was he wanting to dig up gossip about Boyang to spread, like Patrick sometimes just had to do.

Boyang had left his phone lying face up on the table, while he went into the kitchen to make himself and Shoma a snack (most likely instant noodles) The phone had lit up, the familiar ding sounding, and the message popped up on the screen, including the entire conversation they were having before. Shoma's attention was drawn to it when he noticed that his name was mentioned in the message.