"Should we?" she asked, and the Doctor grinned, pulling her along behind him. "Okay then."

-

The Doctor helped her up onto a bin against a wall, over which they watched a well-fed family of three squabbling as they made their way to the air shelter. Once they were underground, the girl from before skulked out of the shadows and entered the house. They could see her through the window, quickly piling tins and food items into a bag, and Mei couldn't stop her smile.

"I really should frown on stealing," she commented as they watched her disappear from view, moving further into the house, "But something tells me she is doing it for others and not herself."

"Agreed," the Doctor commented as a high pitched whistle echoed in the street, and several young children came scuttling out of hiding, entering the house the girl had gone into. "Shall we take a look?"

"Don't mind if we do," Mei grinned, taking the Doctor's hand to climb down.

They  crept into the dining room, the Doctor sitting himself at the end of the table while Mei hovered by the window, sitting on the warm but not burning radiator. A plate of sliced turkey was passed around, each child being pleasant and well-mannered, taking only one slice. And then of course, the Doctor helped himself to two pieces and spoke loud enough to give everyone a fright.

"Thanks, Miss!"

Most of the kids tried to bolt out the door, but the girl quickly got a handle on them, "It's all right. Everybody stay where ya are! Back in your seats. He shouldn't be here either."

"Good here, innit?" The Doctor beamed at the still-cautious-looking kids, "Who's got the salt?" Mei reached forward and flicked his ear, hard. "Ouch! What was that for?!"

"You scared them," she replied, narrowing her eyes, "Idiot, you don't spook kids. That's just mean."

"You're just mean," he pouted, rubbing his ear, which brought giggled from the children. "So, you lot, what's the story?"

"What do you mean?" one of the older boys at the table asked.

"You're homeless, right? Living rough?"

Mei cringed at the thought, another boy speaking up, "Why do you want to know that? Are you a copper?"

Giving them an insulted face, the Doctor said, "Of course I'm not a copper. What's a copper going to do with you lot anyway? Arrest you for starving?" Several kids and Mei laughed at that, "I make it 1941. You lot shouldn't even be in London. You should've been evacuated to the country by now."

"I was evacuated. Sent me to a farm," One of the older boys said, and Mei could recognise the look on his face.

"Better on the streets, isn't it?" she asked softly, "Less danger in the middle of an air raid sometimes." Quite a few of the kids at the table nodded at that.

"Nancy always gets the best food for us," a small boy piped up, beaming at the girl who cowered from the Doctor and Mei's attention.

Seeing the look she wore, Mei smiled, "That's really kind of you Nancy, putting yourself at risk for them. It's not easy, knowing you have to steal and break into people's houses. but having a good reason gives you courage."

Huffing, Nancy crossed her arms, "Something wrong with that?"

"Wrong with it? It's brilliant!" The Doctor exclaimed, "I'm not sure if it's Marxism in action or a West End musical."

"Do you have to be confusing?" Mei asked, leaning back against the window. He stuck his tongue out at her, only to get a fond smile in return.

Nancy watched them for a moment, curious, before asking, "Why'd ya follow me? What do ya want?"