Chapter Two

“How did she get here?” Fox mumbled, his voice filled with anger between each word. Peter sighed shaking his head, “how am I to know?” Fox stood next to Peter lowering his voice from echoing between the tree’s, “I don’t know,” he softened, “maybe because you always follow her?” he questioned eyes filled with humor. Pan shook his head, lips in a thin line “I’ll find out, if anything she wont be here for long,” he sighed, looking behind him back at the other boys, whom were minding their own business playing amongst each other, shooting arrows and laughing. “She doesn’t deserve to be here.” Fox nudged Peter’s shoulder pushing him into the tree trunk behind him, “I don’t deserve to be,” he yelled. Pushing his hand away, Peter floated into the air, hovering above his friend, “no one does. But that’s the way it is and she still has time.” The two boys stared each other down, anger radiating off both of their bodies. Their eyes stayed connected, neither one of them wanting to be the first to look weak and look away. A small sound of a twig breaking in the distance echoed between the trees causing both Fox and Pan to snap their heads in the opposite direction.

            Both pairs of eyes landed on Wendy, who gasped while clutched her chest. Her eyes widened staring at the two boys who were just sizing each other up. “I didn’t mean to interrupt,” she whispered with pleading eyes, “you just disappeared, so I came looking.” Peter sighed letting himself fall from the air, swiftly landing on his feet. Giving Fox one last look he nodded hard before walking to Wendy with a small smile upon his face. His arm wrapped around Wendy’s shoulder pulling her into a hug as they walked through the forest, passing trees and climbing over stumps. “Peter,” she whispered grabbing his hand to pull him to a stop. He furrowed a brow staring down at her in confusion as to why she stopped walking. Wendy glanced down at her toe that was playing with an acorn, pushing it from side to side, before tugging her head up to look into his eyes. She opened her mouth to speak before closing it to silence herself. “What is it?” Pan asked with curiosity and fear, stepping towards her, closing the distance between him. “Well,” she said pushing her loose strands of hair behind her ears and looking around her surrounds, “where am I?”

            Laughter escaped the boys’ lips, bouncing off the tree barks and flying up into the sky. Wendy stared at him with a pout as she watched him clutch his stomach to catch his breath from laughing too hard. Pushing his shoulder she then crossed her arms over her chest, scrunching her nose at him. Once Peter regained his composer and silenced his laughs for sounding through he caught glimpse of her mad expression. “You really don’t know?” Letting her arms fall from her chest, Wendy shook her head side to side.

            Peter smiled a smile so innocent, Wendy’s eyes slowly widened in fear. His lips formed a sly smirk while his eyes changed color. Taking a step back from Pan Wendy stared, glancing from him to the trees around her, “Peter?”

            His smirk widened while he took her hand in his, “come on!”  He laughed turning his walking pace up into a slow jog pulling her in tow behind him. “Where are we going?” she squealed, clinging to his hand while trying not to trip and fall over the forest floor. All Wendy heard as a response from Pan was laughter. Not even one word; nothing but pure laughter. Giggles erupted from her blending in with the sound of his laughter while the two ran through the forest, weaving in between trees while the wind blew their hair back in ripples. “Peter, seriously!” she groaned in between her giggles. Peter looked back at Wendy smiling before stopping in place with Wendy running straight into his back. “Ouch,” she chuckled rubbing her nose in between her hands, “you have a hard back.” Peter chuckled, “are you done?” Dropping her hands from her nose, Wendy nodded at Peter. He smiled pulling Wendy’s hand closer, bringing her close to the edge of the cliff of the forest. Grass hung over the cliff pointing down into the ocean, where waves crashed viciously against the brown rock. Gripping Peters arm with both of her hands, Wendy tiptoed towards the edge eyes wide in astonishment. Peter smiled watching Wendy’s reaction of the view in front of her. It was beautiful, just like Peters stories and exactly how Wendy dreamed it to be. To the left, smoke peaked through the treetops amongst the chants of rituals, whilst to the right, fins could be seen splashing in the small lagoon. Glittering lights of various colors were scattered throughout the forest, creating light brighter than the night stars. Wendy’s grip on Peters arm tightened in excitement as she noticed every detail of where she was at. Staring into the horizon, she could see the shadow of a ship outlining the setting sun. Laughter fell from Wendy as she stared at the ship floating on the sea. Her laughter fell while she turned to face Peter, “is this really?” she said eyes full of excitement and happiness. Peters smile matched Wendy’s while giving her a slight nod, “Welcome to Neverland.”