Gavroche

The stars twinkled in the sky as Gavroche sat atop the barricade, folded in Courfeyrac's strong arms. He was comfortable, but could not sleep for the whirlwind of thoughts flying around his head.

He thought of Feuilly, and admired his noble sacrifice. He thought of the imminent battle, and his possible death. He hated to admit it, but he was scared. Not as much for himself, but for his friends. Enjolras, who had worked so hard towards this revolution. Marius, who needed to get back to Cosette. Courfeyrac, who acted like a father to him. He cared about Gavroche more than his biological father did.

But most of all, he was scared for his sister. He admired her skill and commitment for managing to sneak out to the barricade, but he was also worried. He loved his only real family member dearly, and did not want her getting hurt.

"Gav? He heard a voice whisper behind him. Speak of the devil! Éponine was hiding in the shadows, motioning for Gavroche to come to her. He quickly detached himself from Courfeyrac's arms and went over to her.

"Hey, 'Ponine," he smiled, hugging her tiny waist. "Bonjour, Gavroche." She returned the hug, before pulling away and looking at him with her huge brown eyes. "Could you do something for me?"

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

Gavroche walked around the side of the barricade, looking for the messy brunette hair of Monsieur Pontmercy. At last he spotted him, sitting slightly away from the others, simply gazing into space.

"Letter for you, Monsieur." Marius jumped and turned to look at Gavroche, who held out the folded piece of paper to him, waiting expectantly. Marius took it with a "merci" and Gavroche, remembering his sister's instructions, waited patiently in case Marius wanted to reply. He watched the tears form in the brunette's eyes as he read whatever was written on the paper. Gavroche turned away, feeling as though he was invading the young man's privacy, but a minute later he was tapped on the shoulder, and turned to see Marius, almost free of tears.

"Gavroche," he said, "could you do something for me?"

"Anything," the boy smiled.

-/\-\/-/\-\/-/\-

Gavroche climbed the tall flight of stairs for what seemed like hours, until he finally reached a small attic door at the top. He knocked loudly on the door, and it was opened cautiously by an old man.

"Letter from the barricade," Gavroche said, holding out a piece of paper.