Under attack

The revolutionaries gathered silently behind the barricade just as the marching came to a stop.
"Who's there?" A voice boomed. Marius glanced at Enjolras and nodded.
"French Revolution," the blonde stated clearly. The words had barely left his lips before the same booming voice yelled, "FIRE!" And the barricade was bombarded with bullets.

The army began to advance, forcing the people of the barricade to use a lot of their ammunition. Marius focused all of his energy on shooting the advancing soldiers, and tried not to think about Cosette.

He spotted a soldier, hiding around the corner of a building, who was aiming straight for a small boy in a cap, and the brunette redirected his bullet at the soldier, shooting him before he could do any damage to the boy.

Someone yelled, "NO!" from behind him, making him turn, and his face almost collided with Feuilly's arm. He gasped as he saw his friend grab the barrel of a gun, which was inches from Marius' head, and redirect it to his chest. A shot rang in the night, bringing a silence so sudden you would think all had been killed.

Marius roared in anger and grabbed a torch. "Fall back or I'll blow the barricade!" He held the flame near a box of gunpowder.
"Blow it up and yourself with it!" A soldier smirked, sure he wouldn't dare. Marius looked the speaker straight in the eye.

"And myself with it."

The soldier's smirk slipped as he realised Marius wasn't joking, and he turned and yelled, "Back! Fall back!" To the rest of his army.

As soon as Marius knew they were gone, he leapt across the barricade to his wounded friend.
"Why did you do it, Feuilly?" He dropped next to the young man, looking at his wound and attempting to stop the blood flow.
"I had to. He was going to shoot you..." Feuilly groaned in pain. "I'm going to die, Marius. But it's ok," he offered the brunette a weak smile.
"You should've let him shoot me."
"They need you more than they need me. And so does Cosette," Feuilly spoke faintly and Marius knew he was slipping away.
"Hold on Feuilly, hold on!" Marius cried, still holding his friend's wound.
"It's ok... I can see my sister again..." The boy went limp in Marius' arms, his huge blue eyes reflecting the starlit sky they could no longer see.