THE RIVERS EDGE; PART I

T H E  B O Y  &   T H E  S E R P A N TJUGHEAD & ROSARIO❝There's beggary in love that can be reckoned

T H E B O Y & T H E S E R P A N T
JUGHEAD & ROSARIO
❝There's beggary in love that can be reckoned.❞

☺      ☹      ☺

ROSARIO COULD ONLY WATCH as the pencil soared across the page.  Like a bird in the sky, he mused.  He didn't know what he was drawing—and he didn't care—which was the true beauty held within the entirety of drawing itself because, to him, it was so much more than scribbles on a page.  It was a word, a emotion, a release.  It was him, and not his Father.  But the moment of peace—of sanctuary—was short lived.  For, the clarity had come to an end, when the figure of a boy approached.  Rosario tore his eyes away from the page, the swift movement of his left hand halting as he met the strangers burdened stare.  "My name is Jughead, and due to Principle Weatherbee's mania for cruel and unusual punishments—towards me specifically—the torch of showing you the school was handed to me." the boy—Jughead—huffed as his speech came to an end. He watched Rosario, expectant.

          "Well," he began, his voice sweetened as he spoke, "aren't you a little ray of depression." At the comment, the other snorted and, for a blinks worth, smiled.  Rosario felt something deep, within his chest, yearning to return the smile, but the whispers of the others were far too loud for him to do such thing.

"I heard his Dad was, like, arrested."

"I heard Rosario was sent to rehab by his parents for almost an entire year."  "

"You know what they say; Apple doesn't fall far from the tree."

          Rosario bit his tongue, not in sadness, or nerve, but in utter rage; his fisted hands trembling.

          Their voices were loud—so damn loud—but Jughead was louder. "Ignore them." he said, and somehow, he managed to do just that.

          "That's your brother?" Kevin Keller all but drooled as he watched the two from opposite ends of the hall.  "Damn."  Veronica's stare flickered toward Kevin momentarily before she turned her gaze elsewhere; irritation held beneath her honeyed eyes.  "Easy, Tiger," the youngest Lodge said, her laughter forced, "he's straight."  Betty stepped between both, her eyes straying from Jughead and Rosario, to both Kevin and Veronica. 

          "Are you sure?" Betty asked, cautious.  "I mean..." she trailed, her words uncertain.

          "Am I sure what?" Veronica scoffed, her stare icing. "That my Brother is straight? I think I'd know, Betty," she laughed, the gesture halfhearted. Her stare drifted toward her brother—whom seemed to be speaking to Jughead; and despite the others lack of smile, she could almost hear the happiness—the two seemed to speak of nothing, yet through the excitement within their eyes, it seemed almost opposite of nothing.  "I've never seen Jughead, so..." Betty begun again, her voice far more sure than it had been before.  "Happy?  Unguarded?  Normal?" Kevin listed, and—discarding his teasing tone—both knew all he listed was true for Jughead; but little did they know, it was true for Rosario as well.