Making "Unique" OCs

So, authors of fanfics, even originals, have created their own character. Those who do not know what OC means, it means 'Own Creation' and is a term commonly used by fanfic authors or character creators while referring to characters they created. Simple, but what really just gets me.... you know, pissed, is that authors try to make their OCs unique while creating another copy of their other OCs.

Example, lets say you have to create a group of characters, for whatever reason. You go through the process of making all five OCs, and while you stare at your creations, there are some things that are common between all of them. 

For one, you can make all characters have dyed or non-natural colors (e.g. red, pink, green, gray, pure white, silver, blue, purple, turquoise, magenta, maroon, pastel anything, rainbow, glittery, holographic, etc.). That doesn't make a character unique if ALL characters have rainbow hair. I get it if you have a backstory for all of them having their hair dyed the colors of the rainbow, like they might be in a band or dance group, but IF they're strangers and there is NO reason for them to ALL have their hair dyed, DO NOT do it.

Second, most people create all of their OCs with the same, pasty skin color. Now, I, myself, used to do this, but I realized how all of my OCs had the skin color of a piece of paper. I now create OCs of all color, making my selection and story seem more diverse. It WILL make some readers a WHOLE lot happier if there is more diversity in books. Just a little tip.

Third, you make you're OCs part cat, demon, shinigami, shrine maiden, Demi-god, turtle, dog, bunny, alligator, angel, or lollipop. You see, a lot of people who have read fan fictions or books for a long time, have read their fair share of half not-human books. Again, if the thing you used as your inspiration (e.g. Black Butler, satanists, the cult, illuminati, a maid cafe, your dreams, avatar, etc.) has some type of connection with the half-human hybrid your making, go ahead. BUT, if you are writing a fanfic or book where there is no tie to people who are like that (e.g: no demons in Naruto, no Half-Cat people in OHSHC, no fairies in everyday life, etc.), DO NOT create  characters that are half-human hybrids. It's annoying. 

Fourth, making them OP. Now, for people who have no idea what OP stands for, it means over powered. In Naruto, an anime that revolves around skill and power, DO NOT GIVE  YOUR OCS EVERYTHING THEY NEED TO GET TO THE TOP. Make them work. In a school setting, do not make your character a genius if they put no hard work in, unless that's the whole point of the story. In a romantic book, do not let your character get everyone they want. In an idol/ celeb inspired book, do not make your OC the best of the best. It's unrealistic if they put in no effort. If they were born and they can instantly talk, even if reincarnated, that is unrealistic. A newborn does not have the muscle strength in their mouth to form words. 

I know that in my books, my characters are often a bit too smart, but you have to understand that that is how I think people would be. I'm a smart person, most people come to me if they need answers, and I don't ever really get a chance to mingle with people who aren't in advanced classes. So, I constantly talk to people who are very smart and fight over how to pronounce guillotine, we can create a whole, functioning world by accident. I only get to socialize with people who can have very intellectual conversations, who understand big words, and can easily get through advanced classes. I use people I know as a sort of foundation for how I perceive different types of people. 

Even in 'smart people classes', there aren't just nerds or dorks, there are the athletic people, the nerds of the nerds, the artistic people, the tech wizards, inventors, leaders, the  'I'm way better than you' kids, the spoiled kids, social awards kids, odd ones out, friendly people, 'naturally' gifted, and people who don't fit into any of these categories. I use people in my classes, advanced classes, as bases for characters. My characters will always be able to perceive things and be at an advanced level, because that's how I see most people. My brothers are also very smart. My eldest brother got a 1420 on his first attempt at the SAT in sophomore year, which was higher than my dad's final score. My other brother, who is 17 months older than me, is in advanced classes and knows a whole lot about politics. My mother is very smart, my father is very smart. Everyone I know i8s very smart, so every single one of my 'average' characters are going to be smart.

I can understand if you are surrounded by certain 'type' of people, but half-human hybrids do not exist, so no excuse. 

Here is your tips about the don'ts of creating OCs.

Have a great day.