Chapter Thirty-Four - Count Your Blessings

Start from the beginning

He bolted towards the hatch, ignoring Abby's screams for him to come back and tell her what was happening. He hopped over the side of it, jumping down into the station. He skipped the ladder, hitting the ground and landing on his feet with ease.

He listened closely, ignoring the sweat now literally pooling from his forehead. The fire was close now, in fact almost the entire station was on fire. It was making it difficult to hear, he had no idea how loud fire could be.

He had to get that kid out of the station before the fire reached any flammable or explosive liquids. He remembered Raven telling him about the hydrazine they had found on the other exodus ship, the liquid that she said could blow up and literally make a 300 square foot crater if it caught fire.

He hissed in pain when he felt the fire licking at his limbs, and quickly moved from the hatch. He would have to use the front entrance if he wanted to get out of there in time.

The scream got louder as Murphy heard a loud creaking, then the sound of metal hitting the floor of the station. He had to move quickly.

He ran towards where he heard the sound, and saw that a steel beam had collapsed from one side and hit the ground. The smoke was moving quickly, but also slow enough that he was able to see a face through it. It was a little girl with dark skin and black hair in a brown dress with a black sweater on, her face constricted in panic. She was breathing heavily, which caused her to cough as well when she inhaled smoke.

He moved around the fallen beam, and walked over small pieces of red-hot metal. She was small, maybe six or seven years old. She would be easy to carry. He couldn't hear anyone else but her, so he was relieved that he would be able to get her out. He picked her up, holding her so that his left arm was under her and his right arm was free to push anything out of the way that he needed to.

He moved around the beam again, hopping over the metal when another beam fell to the ground in front of him. He cursed under his breath before quickly inspecting the area. The beams were almost blocking the entire entrance. He wouldn't make it through there, he'd have to find another way out. But she could. He put her down on the ground, turning her to face him.

"You need to go under that beam and go out that door. Do you think you can do that?" He asked, pointing to the entrance.

She nodded, tears still streaming down her face. She went down as low as she could, army crawling under the beam.

He turned to see if he could find another exit, when he heard the creaking sound that he hated so much. He looked up, and didn't have enough time to react before he saw another beam falling directly on him.

He shut his eyes at the last second, trying to move out of the way, when he felt a large force slam into his body and knock him into the ground. He was waiting for the pain to kick in, because he knew it would.

When it took more than ten seconds to do so, Murphy opened his eyes, and looked down at his lower body. The beam had never hit him, he was more than three feet away from it. His eyes moved back up to the area beside him. It was Bellamy, Bellamy was the force that had hit him.

Bellamy was staring at the beam, his eyes wide in fear and shock. He finally snapped out of it, quickly crawling to his feet and grabbing Murphy's forearm, pulling him up with him. "Come on!"

Murphy could see light from the other side of the station, they had broken open another doorway.

He could hear the sound of metal and steel hitting the ground and floor, the rest of the station was collapsing behind them quite quickly.

Bellamy reached the doorway before him, jumping out of it and Murphy doing the same. The second that Murphy hit the ground, the roof of the station caved in, and it took Murphy a second to realize that if Bellamy hadn't been there, he would have been crushed and burned at the same time.