It's All About Your Heart

Harry, who has been silently fidgeting under the tablecloth since the start of their dinner, is finally alarmed by Eggsy’s “I’ll be back in a mo’” restroom absence. He takes a small sip of water to help ease his uncomfortably dry throat while signalling for the waiter with his free hand.

“Can you bring out our next course once we’re both back?” he asked, and only gets up to leave when the waiter smiled politely and nodded ‘yes’.

As he walks closer to the restroom area, the waves of doubt and nerves he fought off while choosing the right cufflinks that morning, a pair from Tom Ford, for this bizarre ‘date night’ return in droves.

It’s not exactly a dinner date per se, but rather, a bought-at-a-work-auction night out at a fancy restaurant which Eggsy chose. Harry’s supposed to be the one to decide what they would be doing considering how he is the highest bidder for Eggsy’s night.

But he also doesn’t simply “win” if one closely examines the entire process, from Eggsy’s text begging him for help because “Harry, no one would pay 500 quid for a day with me. Roxy’s gonna tease me forever if the room’s silent the entire time I’m on the stage!”   

Harry had so wanted to reply with “I’d gladly pay ten times that amount just to be alone with you for the duration of Schubert’s Fantasy in F minor” but that was hardly appropriate. And besides, the reference would be lost on Eggsy.

Harry was, and still is, pleasantly surprised when Eggsy texted him back his choice of restaurant. Bocca di Lupohas been Harry’s favourite place to dine for years, especially when he’s become too tired of takeouts or has no energy left to assemble a decent tuna sandwich. The place, like most of his treasured things, is kept as a secret and Harry’s never taken anyone there, not even Merlin. And yet, he didn’t even hesitate for a moment to type an “as you wish” message back to Eggsy’s suggestion.

God help him, he’s become too fond of the boy to deny him of anything.

Clearing his throat, Harry makes for the softly lit hallway that leads to the wash room.

The muffled voice inside halts his steps as he recognises it’s Eggsy talking on the phone with someone else.

Being brought up with politeness and etiquette ingrained onto his mind, Harry’s almost turned his back in that moment to allow his dining partner some privacy when he hears his name from Eggsy’s lips. And when he’s not a man nearing his mid-50s with a daily heartache born out of unrequited love, Harry Hart is a trained spy working for a super secret British intelligent agency. Therefore, it’s simply natural that his first instinct in such a situation is to stay back and listen.

When Eggsy gets back to their table, his usual reserved-for-Harry smile is back at full force. Roxy always calls it the infatuated fool’s grin, but he prefers to think of it as something that only Harry could bring out in him.

As he sits down, the waiter approaches them with the trolley carrying their dishes.

“Sorry for the long wait, my Mum called and gave me practically a shopping list of stuff to get at Tesco. I didn’t tell her that I’d be otherwise engaged,” he explains with a grimace.

Putting down his glass of wine, Harry rests his chin on one palm and slightly tilts his head, the subtlest hint of light catches on his brown eyes and softly caresses Eggsy’s heart.