Chapter 1 Shur'tugalar

Time Period: Approximately three months after the events of Prologue.

My dragon's emerald scales were completely iridescent in the sunlight under his saddle, reflecting every ray of its blinding light into my face, making me squint. My fourteen year old friend, Halle, sat perched on her bronze beast, Kaida, about twenty yards away from my dragon, Fírek, and I.

Halle was a good friend to me, and a brilliant Rider. She was kind, caring, humorous, and respectful. Her skills as a Rider were strong in swordsmanship and flying tactics. She was the kind of person you'd trust in your house, without having to sleep with a dagger under your pillow. Halle was a short, slender, human girl whose Riders' training had molded into a stealthy and lean weapon. She had dark brown curly hair, pale, yet normal toned skin, and deep set, blue, earnest eyes.

Kaida, her mount, reflected her personality likewise. Kaida was a stealthy, lethal, and muscular built she-dragon with a fiery temper and vicious appetite. Kaida was especially known for her appetite.

I sat up straight, my spine cracking, and I yawned intensely. My slender sixteen year old body was beginning to ache from days of flying on Fírek's back. Fírek was, in some ways, considered the 'dragon prince' of Alagaësia, or at least that's how he referred to himself. He was the son of Saphira Brightscales and Fírnen, the dragon of Queen Arya. This also gave my dragon an enormous ego, but besides his parents' reputation giving him a cocky attitude, he was a gentle dragon. He had a deep voice, like his father, even from the time he had been a dragonet. It had always been deep, it shocked me when he first spoke to me.

His emerald scales had been polished with fragmented oils before we had departed on our voyage, and they seemed to gleam even at night. His wings were leaf green, and in the sun they resembled sunlight shining through leaves on a forest floor. His eyes were a vibrant green as well that were complimented by his ivory white spinal spikes and horns. Fírek was a wise, kind soul. He loved to make me laugh when I was sad and help calm me when I was infuriated. He was my world.

I was a tall elven girl with long blonde hair that fell to my lower back. I was lean and muscular at the time and was starting to gain my confidence as a Rider. I had been told on many occasions by my friends and family that I was a mischievous yet mindful teen with an ego to match my dragon's.

I continued to groan as I stretched, identifying one spot in particular in between my shoulder blades that felt the most strained.

'Are you alright Celest? I could ask Kaida and Halle if we can land for a short break if you wish,' Fírek asked, concern apparent in his voice.

'No, that's quite alright. I'll manage, we've almost arrived at our destination.' Fírek did not answer, but I knew he silently agreed, although he was still concerned about my condition.

The sky above was vacant ahead of us, white clouds above, open air and gravity below. I had convinced myself to stop looking down below Fírek's shoulder days ago, the landscape overall had been nothing but a mundane green blur. I had hoped to see mountains upon my arrival back in Alagaësia, but to my dismay my hopes had plummeted when I realized there would be nothing but hills and small, insignificant villages. To add onto my boredom, looking down all the time had nauseated me and caused me headaches. So instead, I had taken to staring blankly ahead.

Kaida's large leathery wings pulsed lazily in front of us, sending Halle into an uncomfortable routine of jarring in her saddle. Fírek's neck bobbed vertically in front of my nose, his wings switching between thrusting us forward, gliding, falling for a mere instant, and launching us forward again. This boring routine had become the norm for the journey and frankly, I was seldom becoming interested in the voyage anymore. I was ready to go back to Oromis Isle and continue training.