"What?"

"Nope. I am not doing this. You had a point before when you told me I have to stop telling you what to do, so I'm butting out. I need a break from your drama anyway."

Sierra almost burst out in laughter. "My drama?  You're the most dramatic person I know!"

Tia shrugged. "I may be dramatic but at least I got a man."

Sierra wished she had something to throw at Tia's pretty, little face. But she did have something Tia wished she did. She started the Toyota's engine. It purred like it was brand new. She shifted the car into drive. "Tell me that story again about how Tony won't let you sit in his driver's seat."

Tia's jaw dropped. "No, you didn't."

"Yes, I did. Don't talk smack about me and Tristan."

"Whatever. Fine."

Sierra knew Tia had a point but she didn't feel like analyzing her relationship with Tristan with her nosy best friend. She was in a good place for the first time in a long time and didn't need anybody judging her. Beside, right now, she had other plans.

"Put your seatbelt on," she said.

Tia's eyes lit up and she strapped herself in. "That's what I'm talking about. Where we going?"

"I don't know yet. All is I know is that we're going to go there really fast."

Sierra gripped the steering wheel and pushed the gas pedal to the floor.

                                                                                            ***

Tristan was already in the water when Sierra walked into the pool room for her lesson later that day. She never tired of watching him swim. He was born to be in the water. Swimming, for her, was still super technical. Move your hands like this, kick your feet this way; there were so many things to remember. Her fear of drowning didn't make things any easier.

She watched Tristan disappear beneath the water's surface not caring that the water was too deep to stand in. He didn't seem afraid of anything.

She strode down the stairs into the shallow end. Tristan swam over to her and was by her side by the time she hit the four feet marker. She looked over to the deep blue part of the pool and her breathing sped up. Tristan noticed and moved closer. His face was reassuring.

"It's been a while, it's normal to feel rusty," he said. "If you can remember the basics, you should be golden. Try to relax and remember what I taught you."

Sierra nodded. "Can we start with floating first?"

"Sure. You want help?"

"I'd like to try on my own first."

Tristan moved out of the way and gave Sierra room to spread out. She lifted her feet and was surprised when she didn't sink right away considering how stiff she felt. Tristan circled her and placed a hand under the small of her back, slightly lifting her middle. She tensed even more and began to sink.

"Relax, Sierra. Head back. Let the water do the work," he coached. "That's it. Control your breathing."

She tried to listen, but he was too close, making relaxing nearly impossible. After a few minutes, Tristan exhaled heavily and stepped back. Sierra got to her feet.

"You can float, Sierra. I've seen you do it a million times. And I know you're not scared of the water, so why are you so stiff?"

"I can't help it," she admitted.