B.S 36

I staggered to the couch next to me and sat down. I caught a view of Chris's reaction from the corner of my eyes. He'd been concentrating on his assignment throughout my dad and I's conversation but by that moment he was just staring at his laptop. 

Dad sat down on the opposite couch. 

"Chris, can you come here for a couple of minutes?" he asked, looking behind him. 

Chris stayed just as he was for a few seconds before deciding to abandon his high-chair to sit on the couch next to me. 

"I didn't want to tell you like this", dad started. 

I shook my head, closing my eyes briefly. "Dad, stop lying. This isn't going to work". 

"I'm not lying", dad protested his innocence. 

"You've lied before", I reminded him. 

He sighed. "I was only trying to protect you, the two of you. It was a stupid idea but I needed you guys to break up. I was going to tell you guys the truth when you had moved on, so it wouldn't hurt like it's going to now when you are forced to break up". 

I stood up. "I do not believe any of this shit!" 

"I know it's hard to believe. It was hard for me to believe", he said. 

I paced, looking at him. 

"You have sunk low dad. Just freaking tell me why you don't want Chris and I to be together", I said. 

"Because you are brothers and it is incest" he said, sticking to his story. 

I threw my arms wildly around me. "Stop lying goddammit!" 

"Jake I want you to be happy. You are my son and I love you. I admit I was a bit skeptical when you introduced Chris to us as your boyfriend. I had never thought my son would be gay but there you were. I didn't believe in your love, I saw it as a faze that would blow eventually, but it didn't. You loved him and I could see that he loved you. I accepted your love, knowing that you were happy, you had finally settled into a relationship that wasn't parasitic. Why would I want to destroy all that without a valid reason?" he said. 

I chuckled humorlessly, wondering if a father could be so evil he wanted to destroy his child's happiness. 

I didn't say anything though. He would crack, right? 

"Mr.....Mr. White, H-How am I Jake's brother?" Chris asked quietly, his words littered with confusion. 

"You are my son", dad replied. 

I snorted, rolling my eyes. 

"But how?" Chris asked. 

Dad held his head in his hands for a while. He was a good actor, I'd give him that. 

"I had a fling with your mom 19 years ago. Her name is Allison Kerr. Jake's mom was pregnant...with Jake. After the whole postpartum depression with Gabe she wasn't thrilled to be expecting another child. She became aloof and just...unhappy. I had a fling to escape her. Allison was young, she had a fiery soul and she was just full of passion. A couple of months later I decide to end things with her. We parted on a good note, but she didn't tell me she was pregnant. A couple of months ago, 5 months into your relationship, she sent me a letter. She told me I had a son, a son that she left on the doorstep of an orphanage because she couldn't take care of you. It was too much to believe, but I hired a private investigator that brought me the startling news that my 'son' was adopted by James and Suzanne Hart. I knew it had to be you", dad said. 

I had listened to the story intently and when dad stopped talking I opened my mouth. 

"That does not prove anything. The private investigator could have gotten it wrong", I said.