Chapter seven- the material change

Start from the beginning

“Is she going to be okay?” my mother asked in a panic. No, I thought, I wasn't able to breathe. Of course I'm not.

“Yes, ma'am. She was just having a severe anxiety attack. They often happen after traumatic experiences. After one as traumatic as this, though, I would suggest therapy for each of you. Especially her. She was the one to find him, was she not?” I watched my mother nod in response.

“I'm not a doctor, but I would very much suggest it,” he replied. Then he turned and walked away to talk to some other patients.

It was another hour before we heard anything. Even then, it was only that he would most likely survive, but the consequences for the lack of oxygen to the brain was unclear at this time.

We ended up spending the rest of the night in the waiting room. We didn't talk much and when they did talk, they didn't talk to me. I think it was because they were afraid they were going to throw me into another panic attack. Which was probably completely likely.

November 22, 7:30 AM: The doctor informed us that he wouldn't be the same. As if this were a surprise.

November 22, 3:30 PM: Serena showed up. Holden was not with her. She didn't stay long. I didn't want her to.

November 23: No news. Actually went home. Made it to the stairs before I broke down into tears. I promptly drove to Serena's so that I could use her shower.

November 25: The last few days had been spent at Serena's. I only moved from her bed to get food.

November 26: The doctor told my family that he was going to survive. I figured this was obvious, considering he'd been alive for almost a week, but apparently it required confirmation. The amount of brain function lost was to be determined. But I guess it was enough to celebrate Thanksgiving.

November 28: It was reported that there would be minimal brain damage. Whatever that means. We still were not allowed to see him.

November 29: We were permitted to see him, but only for short periods at a time and only one at a time. They didn't want him to get worked up and try and commit suicide again. I knew that wasn't the problem, but they had to follow procedure. He didn't ever speak one word to us.

I continued to spend my nights at Serena's. Holden could hardly make eye contact with me, much less talk to me and Serena was awkwardly nice, too. I was having a difficult time acting normal when they wouldn't act normal either.

Whenever Levi would visit, he'd automatically ask if I needed anything. All I wanted was for them to act normal. When I'd confront them about it, they'd deny it. It was more frustrating than it should have been. I found myself locked away in their guest bedroom almost all day. Her parents were almost never home and I wondered if they even had any idea that I was here. If they knew, I doubt they cared.

It was the Saturday before I had to go back to school when Holden finally spoke to me. I was asleep in the guest bedroom, which was now referred to as, “Elizabeth's room,” even though it was about 3 in the afternoon. I awoke to the weight of another person on the side of my bed.

I pretended to be asleep until it was unavoidable. I forced myself to roll over and look at Holden when he opened the curtains, letting the light flood in.

“Hey!” I shouted, pulling a pillow over my head.

“Hey, yourself,” he replied, taking the pillow off of my head. “You haven't eaten at all today, Elizabeth.”

“I'm not hungry,” I declared stubbornly. And it was true; I had no appetite since that day. He just scrutinized my appearance.

“I don't care. You're going to eat. And then you're going to my show. It's tomorrow, so we'll need to head out today.”