Chapter Five

~In the Park~

Niall smiled brightly as they walked into the park, he had somehow managed to entwine Diana and his fingers together, “I love this park.”

"It's gorgeous..." She said wistfully as she looked around.

“Mind if I be a bit cheesy but honest?” Niall asked with a little giggle.

Diana turned her attention towards him, a soft smile on her face, "Not at all!”

“You’re more gorgeous,” He looked over at her with a goofy grin.

Her cheeks flushed red, baring an uncanny resemblance to the color of her hair. Diana looked down at the ground, a smile playing on her lips.

Niall chuckled as he watched her reaction, "That's adorable!"

She glanced up at him shyly, "So, Niall.... How is it that someone as amazing as yourself would want to hang out with someone like me?"

"To be honest I've been wondering the same thing about you," Niall said quietly as he looked over at some kids playing on a swing set, "I mean, I'm not really the most attractive one in the band....or the most talented, or the most popular, or the coolest....really the only thing I have going for me is the way I say 'potatoes'."

Diana's steps slowed to a stop as she looked up at him in shock, "Are you kidding me? You're amazing! Niall, the other guys have a lot going for them, but so do you. You're the best part of the band to me... you're the only irish one in it, which makes you even more unique than you already are. Nobody could replace you."

Niall looked at her in surprise, he was silent for a moment before softly saying, in a voice that sounded like he could shatter at any moment depending on her answer, "Why do I feel like your opinion is the only one that matters?"

She bit her bottom lip lightly and gently rubbed his hand with her thumb, "It's the only one you have to listen to because it'll never change..."

Before Niall could even think about what he was doing he leaned in and pressed his forehead to hers as he stared into her beautiful hazel orbs.

Diana felt her cheeks burning as she looked up into his eyes, feeling like she was going to melt right then and there.

Her heart was racing...

Niall gently stroked her cheek with his free hand, "Thank you." He whispered.

"Y-you're welcome...." she stuttered out.

Niall smiled softly as he slowly pulled away, "And for the record, you're pretty amazing too. I mean, I have never met a girl who could eat as much as I can. And I find it extremely attractive on you." Niall's face turned bright red as he realized what he had just said.

She raised an eyebrow and smirked slightly, "Oh? Well, I'm glad you're not disgusted by it like Marcus was."

"Marcus?" Niall looked at her with slight confusion, "I'm guessing he's the crazy ex who actually let you walk out of his life?"

Diana turned her attention to the park again and nodded, "More like stormed out..."

"Can I ask why exactly you stormed out?" Niall asked as they continued walking, "I mean, not that I'm complaining or anything. Just curious."

"... I caught him snogging another girl at a party... he didn't even try to apologize or anything... just shrugged and carried on." She said quietly.

"That's terrible," Niall scrunched up his face in disgust, "That's repulsive."

"Yeah... it's been four weeks since I dumped him..." DIana put on a smile, "I'm better off without him."