“I will never love another the way I love you”

He nodded slowly but not before I could see the disappointment in his eyes. I wished I hadn’t seen it but I didn’t want to lie to him. I looked down the corridor, trying to wipe away those sad eyes from my thoughts where they had permanently ingrained themselves.

 I would just have to pray that I never met my true mate.

Dale suddenly moved forward and I was at once made aware of the lone figure that was walking down the corridor. Dale removed himself from me and strode to his brother embracing him. Kai fell into his brother’s hug exhaling heavily. I watched the scene with my hand on my heart, touched, Kai’s eyes looked up meeting mine as his brother continued comfort him.

I was surprised to note that the fires in his eyes had returned brighter than the first day I had seen them, they flickered brightly as they bore into mine. I searched for the little boy, but I couldn’t see past those fierce fires and I looked away. It was as though he didn’t want me to see anything and I couldn’t help but feel we would once again revert back to the distant relationship we had had when I first came to the pack.

Dale let go of his brother and they moved walked into the room, I followed after Dale standing behind him as everyone in the room suddenly fell silent. Kai stepped forward, seeming to stare at everyone before he announced what we had all guessed.

“From this night forth Tatiana shall no longer be your Luna, nor will she be my mate”

Eyes dropped to the floor as the heavy news floated around the air, Kai seemed to let go of a breath he had been holding and sank into the chair I had just been sitting. He inhaled, sinking into the chair even more closing his eyes. We all stared at him for a moment and then as though he had ushered a command we left the room one by one.

Dale gently closed the door and then turned to me

“Tonight he’s going to need me”

I cocked my head at him not quiet understanding

“Tonight their bond will be broken when Tatiana and Cullen mate, it’s going to be excruciatingly painful. He might even try to hurt himself, I need to stop him from doing anything harmful”

I nodded at him slowly my eyes trailing back to the door, I wondered what he was really feeling. Was he hurt? Was he going to cope? Or was he just going to keep his emotions bottled up and hide behind his shield?

I sighed knowing the answer, his mask had only fallen once and now it was back with a vengeance, he would hold on to it tightly this time.

***

“I like this castle” Cara stated looking around at our chamber as I plaited her hair

I smiled

“It’s pretty isn’t it?”