Chapter 38

Cara shook in my arms as I tried to shield her from the sigh of the dead body, I could feel her twisting in my arms trying to see what she had done. I myself was unable to look away from the body as it morphed back into the figure of a boy who looked barely a day over twenty. His golden eyes stared upwards, void of any life and fixated on some part of the cave roof. His brown hair clung to his head in clumps and he had one hand over the wound in which the silver of blade still existed.

Black blood flowed from it, making a peculiar hissing noise as it trailed down his skin. I could feel the bile rise up my throat as the smell of it filled my nose. It smelt like death, sweat and something unfamiliar, it was like smoke but bitter and ashy. 

"Mama?" 

I looked down at Cara, she had gone completely pale and there were beads of sweat dripping down her face. Her eyes traveled to the entrance of the cave where I could see Neymeria lying on her side, panting heavily. Cara's eyes filled with tears and she removed herself from me crawling over to the wise wolf that had been her guardian for the last month.

I watched from where I was sat as Cara, lay over the wolf stroking her fur and then stopping where her hands met a wet sticky substance.Something in her broke and suddenly she was torrent of emotions, anger, sorrow and everything in between hit her like an arrow and there was nothing that could stop it.

Once again I found my eyes shifting towards the dead man, I moved away slowly crawling as Cara had. I tried to hug but she shrugged me off leaning on Neymeria.

The wolf stared up at me her eyes wide and that glow around her brighter than ever. I shielded my eyes from it as it swelled encompassing the entire cave, there was a pulse of energy that flashed through and her body jerked upwards sending Cara flying into me.

For a while we just lay on the floor, unable to move or even comprehend what had just happened. I was the first to sit, looking around me to see that Neymeria had disappeared and all that was left to remind me that she had been there in the first place was a pool of blood.

"Where did she go?" Cara asked quietly 

 I shook my head unable to answer her with anything that wouldn't be a lie. Her small face hardened and she scrambled over to her knife holding it tightly. Her eyes regarded the dead body for a moment and then she was back at my side the blazing light filtering through the cave and illuminating her before she stepped out.

I rushed to my feet, hurrying after her the sun was already high in the sky and I could only guess that it had just gone past noon. Cara was sliding down the rocks, her knife pointed ahead ready to push it into someone else.

I was too afraid to shout her name in case we attracted any attention but she was moving too quickly for me to keep up and she knew the area much better than  I did.

Some rocks collapsed as moved through and in the distance I could hear snarls and the sound of paws hitting the ground. Cara heard them too and ahead of me I saw her break off into a run disappearing behind one of the giant rock range in front of me.

I picked myself, feeling the world sway a little as I caught up, there were six Lycans ahead and Cara was running to meet them. They seemed a little confused but in no time they ran ahead to meet her. Though my heart was slowly threaten to explode I could not deny that she was quick, her stature also gave her an edge and she managed to slide under two Lycans tripping one over and slashing the other in the leg.