We've Been Waiting For You

— 1 —

"Soldier V

"Soldier V. Rfd." I saluted the captain.

|||

NOW YOU MAY BE thinking I'm apart of some military organisation with strict leaders and shaved heads. I can understand that but this is only a cover up.

This is a lie because I am apart of something much more precarious.

Much more life-threatening.

And I probably wouldn't be able to tell you anything at all, if all our information hadn't been exposed by a hacking organisation that we just call Brick.

You could say that Brick were our rivals but the organisation I work for isn't all that "good" anyways. So I guess we're all just as bad as each other.

Why are you working here if you're not working for the good of people?

My main intention was only to find my older sister - and to pay the high rent quite frankly.

She was taken away at the age of 11 (I was 9) when we were robbed. At the time, I wasn't a spy and I had no idea that she was dragged into it at such an early age. After all, kids are innocent so you would never expect her to be a spy (which made her all the more useful).

But why are kids so innocent? Is it the fact that they are untainted by society's wicked ways, lies and betrayal? Or that they don't understand the cruel way of the world yet and so innocence is all they have?

Either way, my sister was already too deep to get out and that's what led to her being taken away. And unfortunately now, I am no closer to her than I had been two years ago, when I first joined the organisation.

It all started with me browsing for a summer job the year I turned 19. I was attending university, studying criminology but was trying to save up for my own apartment closer to the city of London.

It had always been my dream to live in a bustling city even if I wasn't the biggest fan of crowds per say. I just liked the liveliness and diversity of the city. It made me feel present with this moment only.

The previous summer I had attended self defence classes and I became really good and kind of enjoyed fighting people - as sad as it sounds, it gave me spirit.

So I thought, why not just get a job there? Teach people self defence - which is something I enjoy - and get some money out of it.

This is where I met Alisha, one of my good friends, who I didn't know was apart of some organisation that dealt with the bad guys. I had only seen it in movies after all. How could have I expected that she was actually at my self defence class to recruit me?

|||

"Vi! So, right, I told you yesterday on the phone that I wanted you to meet some guys." Alisha said taking out her hairband to reveal a wild mop of curly hair (that I secretly wished I had).

"Yeah...I remember. You never really told me much though? What's their names again?" I said whilst collecting my things after an energising session of self defence.

"It's a surprise! A big one! Justknowthatyou'reareallygoodfriendforrealok." Alisha spoke so quickly that I didn't even catch what she was saying so I replied with a simple, "Yeah."

To be honest, I should have caught on by then, we had only been friends for around a month or two and I was only just starting to open up to her.

I wouldn't say I'm very friendly. I've had a lonely life so far and I prefer to just keep to myself so, I didn't have many friendships because true to the fact, I didn't really need them.

But Alisha was the opposite; her infectious and amicable personality caught you off guard straight away and I fell right into her trap.

"This is Xavier. And this is Nicholas." Two bulky guys stepped into the room making it look ten times smaller than it actually was. They looked like your classic bodyguards so I was beyond surprised when Xavier spoke in a high-pitched voice.

"Alisha has told us all about you. Everything." Xavier said and flinched when Nicholas elbowed him.

This was getting weird. At the right time, my phone started to ring and I reached into my bag to get it but suddenly-

|||

I woke up in a cosy, foreign bed with a stack of letters by my foot. Realisation sank in and in a frenzied panic, I ran to the window to at least get a rough idea of where I am.

But it wasn't a window, instead I was welcomed to a picture (more like a doodle really) of a family that used to look exactly like mine.

And in tiny letters, Alisha's name was written at the bottom.

"ALISHA! I SWEAR DOWN THIS ISN'T FUNNY. I'M NOT A CELEBRITY AND GET ME OUT OF HERE."

The door opened abruptly and Alisha came in with a wide grin and an odd, mismatching outfit.

"Hi." She muttered sheepishly, not making eye contact.

"I have watched enough crime shows to know that you are probably not Alisha and you either want three of these things: money, information or my torture slash death."

"Well said. But it's none of those things. There's a lot of things you need to know. I suggest reading those papers but the main thing is, we want to recruit you and by we I mean an independent undercover organisation that I work for. This isn't a prank or a game or anything. This is hardcore reality. And you don't have to join us but you'd have to be killed if you don't and I actually quite like you and don't want you to be killed so-"

"Anyways. There's good guys and there's bad guys but there's also good bad guys and bad good guys. My only advice is that, nothing is as it seems and don't you ever trust anyone with your life." Alisha spoke in a tone that made me shiver and made me want to jump back into the bed.

"Welcome to HAT." And with that Alisha jumped through the "window" and I forgot how to speak.