When I Met Link

Just keep in mind that this story is meant to be serious with some funny moments in it here and there. I am lucky to not have this kind of family situation, as are many, but if you do have this kind of family, I'd like to say that this is my way of respecting what you go through and trying to find a way for others to try to understand what you go through. If anyone has any advice for this, please let me know, and I would greatly appreciate it.

I hesitate before opening the door to my house. Well, I more consider it my prison. The people who supposedly are supposed to be taking care of me are like jailors, and I am the prisoner. I get beaten and insulted at home and at school. I literally don't know what safety is. I've never had it. I shake my head to clear my thoughts as I slowly open the door. The blood red Honda in the driveway is what gives away that my jailors are here. I try to slip to my cell, but the male jailor grabs my arm. I drop my backpack and try to seem strong as he drags me to the basement. From the smell, he's drunk and high. Not the best combination, honestly. I smell alcohol and smoke, which is how I can tell. He chains me to the wall and gets several syringes ready. I mentally gasp. In those syringes is a drug that doesn't let me pass out. Even after I'm released from the torture chamber, he still always has one of those syringes in case I end up passing out after the torture. He doesn't speak to me. He doesn't regret anything. He enjoys my pain and suffering. I know it. I walk back to my cell and shut the door. I don't bother to lock it. They'd just break the lock anyway. I slowly work my way to my Nintendo Switch and grab my controller. I walk to my horse chair (it acts like a horse when it turns on. I use it to control Link when he's on his horse) and lock the controller into a little notch in the horse's shoulders. I grab my Master Sword, Hylian Shield, spear and bow replicas. I use them to control the fighting. There's a 360 treadmill I use to walk around Hyrule. When I'm playing the game, a VR headset lets me see the world from Link's eyes. His perspective. I can't see anything behind me unless I look over my shoulder. Of course, there's some headphones for the audio. I have just caught the probable grandson of the horse Zelda rode 100 years ago ingame. I sigh longingly. I wish I could go to Hyrule. It's not easy there, but it seems easier than living here. I go to Outskirt Stable and register the stallion. I name him Majesty (because I have no better names for him and I name him that irl when I get him) and finish the sidequest to get the royal horse gear. I then canter toward Kakariko Village. As I pass Dueling Peaks Stable, I jump when the man pounds on my door. I pause my game, take off the headset, and flatten myself against my horse chair. My door bursts open as he walks into the room. I grip the mane as tight as I can. The man sees my grip and yanks me off. As he does, a blinding white flash explodes in my cell. When it fades about a minute later, my eyes widen. Standing in the middle of my cell is none other than Link. I know he's the soon-to-be Hero of the Wild because the Link in my game is gone and stands in front of me. The Hylian teenager (I'd guess about 17 or so) walks toward my captor and pries me away from him. I stay close to my horse chair. I don't lean on the chair, but I climb back onto it. Link walks over to the man and stares him down. Link wins.

"I can take her away from you if you want." Link says flatly. "I'll take better care of her than you will, anyway. Are you TRYING to kill her?" The man suddenly starts laughing quite hard. I cringe.

"That thing is a mistake and always will be. We're fixing the mistake, boy. Leave us alone." The man says. Link seems pretty agitated by that and doesn't back down from his claim.

"I can take her with me." Link suggests. "She'll be out of your lives and I get some company as I travel Hyrule. Seems like a win-win to me." The man thinks about it as the woman appears.

"Honey, what's going on in here?" The woman asks. The man fills her in on Link's suggetion.

"It sounds great to me, but then you won't be able to relieve your stress too well, will you?" She says. The man sighs thoughtfully. I grip the reins of my horse chair tightly. I want to go with Link.

"You do want to come with me, right?" Link asks, turning to me. I nod erratically, regretting it when my head pounds. I stop and hold my head in one hand, wincing and groaning. I tense. My captors will definitely beat me for that one. The man takes a step toward me and I try to back away from him, but I fall off my horse chair and hit the tile ground hard. I hold my head in one hand and my side with the other. Link runs to my side and helps me get up. The man takes another step. I back up to the wall. Link seems to put the pieces together when he sees the man's eyes. Something's different from before and Link pales. I've never seen that before. The man keeps walking closer to me until Link shoves him on his butt. The Hylian runs to me and lightly pushes me behind him. I pull out my cell phone and quietly make a quick 911 call. Within minutes, the front door gets knocked. Link stays next to me as I move to the front door. A few cops stand outside. They seem to notice my injuries and ask me where they are. I lead them to my cell. My captors look shocked, yelling the question of who called the police.

"WHO CALLED THE POLICE ON US?!" The man roars. I sidle closer to Link's side fearfully.

"WHO CALLED THEM?!" The woman roars back. Link lightly pulls me closer to his side.

"I-I did." I say quietly. They both stop short and look at me with absolute rage.

"WE KNEW IT WAS A MISTAKE!!!!! WE NEED TO FIX IT!!!!" They roar together. Link seems confused. I tell him that they're referring to me. The cops seem to get it and lead the two adults  into the police cars. Another cop walks to me and bends down to my level for some reason.

"Are you going to be ok on your own?" He asks. I look at Link and nod. "Alright, just call if you change your mind." I nod again and start walking back inside to pack up my video game stuff. I put my consoles, controllers, and screen into one bag (my bags work like Link's pockets), including my treadmill, while I put my actual games into a different bag. I put them into a compartment in my horse chair's stomach and condense the chair into a smaller version of itself and put it in my pocket. Link gives me an uncertain look. I give him a confused look back.

"Are you sure about this? Hyrule is really dangerous." Link says. I nod and walk to his side.

"You suggested this, and I'm sure about it." I say. He nods and I black out.