CHAPTER I: Before the Harvest

"I'm not a stalker." I whispered.

"Definitely not."

"Observer. That's what I am. Huge difference."

I had always been a visual learner, just as good as a person who learns through written teachings.

Which explains why I am perched in a tree, observing the best (and only) hunters in District Twelve: Katniss Everdeen and Gale Hawthorne.

I had no one to teach me basic survival, and I taught myself by examining those two and through my father's books. It wouldn't be wrong to claim I am on par with the Careers. Hell, maybe I am twice as good in combat, for three reasons:

1) I had trained in multiple types of martial arts and self-defence, since I was old enough to prepare for the Hunger Games; I mean, I could take on a Career and win with ease.

Armed, of course.

2) I am best friends with nature's deadliest predators. The Phoenix and the Vulpecula (a creature that once known as a "fox", but the name changed with its mutation), who helped me hunt and survive, anyway.

3) I had kicked Gale's ass before.

"Well..."

Giggling to myself I remarked "A little more than kicked it."

I opted to wear a light beige shirt that day, with grey jeggings. I wore my family's burgundy coat. I wore worn leather boots and a large bag of frozen meat attached to my back and cooked food in my satchel.

My indirect teachers' conversation seized my attention.

Katniss' throaty but soft voice entered my ears first "So, your final year, huh?"

The archer from the Seam had a slender figure with black hair, silvery eyes, and olive skin. She was sixteen years old and attended a secondary school I used to go to before Gale and I had an... altercation.

The education in District Twelve is subpar to the scholars Pops sent from the Capitol so I dropped out.

Gale just became the straw that broke the camel's back.

Butt-chin or Gale held a glum gaze "Finally is all I can say, but..."

Similar Katniss and most people from the Seam, Gale shared Katniss' dark hair, drab skin, and dusty eyes but his height reached to over six feet tall. He'd been that height for as long as I could remember, which is an unusual where he lives. A girl must admit, he was a handsome young man or 'camera ready' as his hunting partner described him to be once, not only that, he was muscular, again unusual considering where he lives. He's a boy blessed with a brilliant body.

I growled "But cursed with a shitty personality."

As if reading his thoughts, the archer replied, "Don't want to work at the mines?"

I believe you could see me cringe, an unpleasant memory barged into my head once I heard Katniss' words.

"But hey, one more set of tesserae and no more for the rest of my life." He chirped in his gruff (brain cell rotting) voice.

His companion agreed but asked "How many is that this year in total?"

"Forty-two tesserae."

The sound and movement of myself almost slipping off the timber hearing Gale's confession, startled the fowl nearby. They all flew out into the hunters' line of fire.

Without hesitation, Katniss shot three arrows, killing her targets.

I looked at the fallen birds, my soft spot for animals kicking in as I apologised to them for my body's reaction.

"Nice work, Katnip!" Gale cheered. In return, the grey-eyed girl glared at her taller friend with worry. "What?"

Huffing indignantly, she answered "Forty-two tesserae? I pray the Odds are in Your Favour. I don't wish to know what happens to your family if your chosen."

Gale was sharp to reply, "Then don't."

Silence pierced the forest. The natural sounds of the biome being only the only thing that harmonised with it. It would be wonderful if it wasn't so awkward.

I took this as a cue to leave. I leaped and swung through the forests with great finesse and skill, making as little noise as possible in case I cause the hunters to shoot at me. Can't be bothered to pull arrows out of my leg.

Each grip on every branch was firm and calculated. My toned thighs tensed with each leap as my feet's positioning were precise with every landing. It was scary how I could move with such ease, even with my added weight. If the space between trees was too large, I would throw my golden hilted sword it into the next shrub and step on it – keeping momentum.

My time with Luna and Solis had been beneficial on a physical level, their mutations caused some type of radiation in my body, altering some of my natural human abilities. I have intense muscle strength, heightened stamina, strong awareness, 20/20 vision and other abilities.

But I can't fly. God Damn it.com

My mind wandered back to Gale and Katniss's topic of conversation.

"The Games begin tomorrow. Time goes fast when you aren't paying attention."

"Forty-two times! I hate that butthole but, Damn, I don't want him to die."

I paused "However, he did almost kill me. Maybe I do?"

"No, I don't. No one deserves that."

"That means Prim is old enough to join now. Although, there is a tiny chance they choose her out of the 8,000 people who live in this poor town. May the Odds be Ever in Your Favour, little Prim. Perhaps I should go to the Reaping this year, just in case."

I stopped monologuing in realisation.

"Hang on," I laughed at my unintentional pun "Where am I going?"

"I am going to the market."

"Is this the way to the market?"

I am groaning at myself; I threw my sword the ground below and jumped down beside it.

Bending down on one knee and closing my eyes, I dug my fingers into the ground. Locked within deep concentration, I opened them once more; this time my (E/C) eyes settled into a moon sliver shade. I felt every source of energy, everything that breathed or moved by the slightest millimetre; giving me the ability to lock on to a target even while it commits any action.

It has its pros and cons. Never saw frogs mating. Never wanted to.

But it's still burned in my brain.

I pin-pointed the electric fence, its power weakened through the years. The most harm it could do was tickle someone.

None the less, I awakened from my trance; eyes still silver but not as bright. I trekked to the fence.

Using my keys once I reached the gate, I headed off to the black market or the Hob.

The Peacekeepers only allowed these types of shops prosper as the Capitol didn't feed them well either. I assumed at least some of my game had been consumed by the town guards.