10 | the battle begins

Start from the beginning

With a slight smirk, Bucky nods a little before it slowly fades and his eyes level with hers, "Lana, I don't want you going out there."

Svetlana slowly looks up at him, her own small smile fading in understanding, "I know..."

Bucky's lips tighten into a thin and worried line. He could say so much. He could give that same old speech he used to give Steve all those years ago. This isn't some back alley, this is war. Bloody brutal war where the friend next to you gets shot down but you can't stop fighting. Svet was an assassin, not a soldier. But somehow Bucky knows that is exactly what his daughter is now. He never could stop Steve back then, and he knows he won't be able to stop Svetlana now. She'll stand at the front lines with or without him. And he's not about to let her face a war alone.

Taking in a tight breath, the tall man finally just clears his throat and gives a small nod, "All right then."

His daughter gives him a sad and comforting smile, "Come Papa, the others will be waiting."

Svet turns to walk away before Bucky quickly catches her hand, pulling her back. He ignores her questioning gaze and draws closer to her, putting his hands on the back of her neck and looking her in the eye to make sure she understands.

"You remember what I taught you?" His voice is low and concerned, his eyes searching hers, "You're good at hand-to-hand but I don't know what kind of things we're gonna be facing out there. Keep your distance as long as you can. The heads and chests are divine, but the knees work just fine, right?" The girl gives a small smile at the rhyme before Bucky firmly and very seriously nods, "You take them out, Svetka, whatever they are, you don't let them get too close. Understand?"

The girl's face is stone-hard when she nods, "I understand."

"Okay," Bucky gives a small breath of apprehension.

Squeezing his ocean eyes shut, Bucky wraps an arm around Svet's shoulders and draws her close to his chest, giving her one last kiss before they turn and walk face first into a war they're not sure they'll ever walk back out of.

" HOW WE LOOKING , BRUCE ? "

"Yeah, I think I'm getting the hang of it!" Bruce yells back to Natasha as she stands on a Wakandan ship, his body lifting off and landing hard in the giant Hulkbuster suit, "Whoa, whoa, this is amazing, man! Wow, it's like being the Hulk without actually-," and just at that precise moment, the man trips and lands face-first into the dirt.

Okoye merely gives him a look of plain old disgust when her ship and the flying Falcon and War Machine all quickly sail past the fallen suit.