02 | promises none can keep

chapter ii of the death season :
" COME BACK TO ME . "

╓─────────────────────╖

" There is nothing except this . . . There is the next mission and nothing else . "

╙─────────────────────╜

january 9, 2018

A GROUP OF FIVE STAND in the throne room of the Wakandan palace, surrounded by a stifling silence and a weighty air. It's still so late, but none of them can even consider the thought of sleep now. Especially not now with this huge of a threat looming in the air. No one knows quite what to say or what to do. How can anyone hope to defeat this? Even with the might of Wakanda, what can anyone do to fight in the face of so much Death?

With her long hair pushed back behind her ears, Lisa sits on the throne with her elbows set upon the armrests. Her fingers are pressed to her pink lips and her face appears distant and foreign. T'Challa stands beside her and the throne, his arms crossed over his chest and one hand's knuckles pressed to his mouth. His gaze is concerned and contemplative and his posture is tall and firm.

Bucky Barnes, the one they now call the White Wolf, stands off to the side with his own gaze full of grim concentration, not quite sure of what this place that's given him refuge will be facing. Both the general, Okoye, and the Wakandan princess, Shuri, stand across from the royal couple, their faces grave and dark and, even in the eighteen year old princess' case, a little fearful.

"What is it that you're saying?" Okoye presses her lips into a thin line, shaking her head as she still tries to understand just what the royal couple has told her, "Exactly."

"I'm saying that this one was different than the other flashes." With a sigh, Lisa rubs at her aching temples, "Ones like this, I've only had twice before. I'm usually never able to actually interact in the visions. I see. I witness. I feel. But I definitely don't..."

Unable to fully finish her thought, she heaves another sigh and drops her stinging head in her hands. T'Challa rests his hand on her shoulder, gently squeezing it before he distractedly rubs at her back. Feeling a little worried of upsetting her sister of two years, Shuri debates on even asking anything but she knows that, more than anything, they really do need answers.

So, the princess questions, "When was the first time you interacted with these visions?"

Trying to push the pain aside, Lisa looks up at them, "2012; a night after the Battle of New York. I was sleeping and then suddenly it was like I wasn't on Earth. I was before a throne and they were discussing how they failed. But they heard me..." She trails off with a shake of the head.

"And the second..." Bucky prompts cautiously after a few moments, watching the young woman who he reconciled with a long time ago.

Lisa's eyes seal closed and her voice grows solemn, "The second was after Sokovia. It felt as if I had been..." She grimaces and motions her hands to her chest. "As if I had been taken control of, like a vessel or something. I-I can't explain it."

Bucky's eyes slowly trail down to the ground, knowing the feeling of not being in control of his own mind well enough.

"And now again, these three years later..." Shuri whispers to herself thoughtfully.