today was nice

My brother 24 yo brother came over to chill while my mom was at work and we was talkin bout life and he was showing me a lot of conscious rap artists and songs because I showed him Daveed's hip hop group Clipping' song "Summertime". He helped me understand different genres of rap and we were jamming out and laughing and generally relating and bonding over the songs that blared from the speaker while making and eating chicken patty sandwiches we made and orange juice. For those of you who dont know, there's a rule in my family: NO MUSIC. Especially my dad (though I dont live with him lmao) but it felt nice to feel like a regular African American family. Like,, sure I have the stereotypical strict single black mom who works 9 to 5 along side child support from my dad. But I never had music to comfort me as a child. Now that I'm older and have the i n t e r n e t, and have been to a public school for half of middle school I've come in contact with and learned to love different types of music. Punk rock. Ukulele. Lofi. Indie pop. Conscious rap. Broadway. And the fact that even for an hour we got to laugh with rap music in the background (and my new hair cut which actually makes me look pretty h o t) while in the bathroom with my green floral shirt that goes just above my knees and my nearly none existent black nail polish and black tights while washing my hands. Then looking up into the mirror and smirking as the music was blaring from the kitchen. It felt just right.