2. Slow it is

what is with him. he looks lost almost human unlike his composed self in the boardroom where he lets his temper fly through the roof even if there is a typo in the presentation. maybe I have caught him at a delicate time. I can see his cool grey eyes transform from adoringly lost to steel grey with intent. now I am quaking in my boots I hope he offers me a ride I'm completely drenched I can't afford to hire a taxi if I want to be able to pay this month's rent. I hope I don't catch a cold at this rate. I hope he agrees I will be forever indebted to him. I have to get home I need to feed my cat my only companion and best friend I can't let her die of starvation. '' I really need to get home. my cat is dying, please ?''. okay, I don't know why I said that. as they say, desperate times call for desperate measures it is. and it's not like its a complete lie my cat Zeke will die of starvation. his expressions have gone from shuttered to mildly amused now. ''get in'' in commands in his deep rich baritone voice. I feel shivers run down my spine as I walk over to the passenger seat. as I seat myself I am immediately greeted by the warmth in the car I outstretch my hands towards the heater to get the numbness off my fingers. '' thank you so very much Mr. Wellington''. I'm replied with a brusque nod and he drives off. I love the smell of leather and vanilla air freshener permeating the air in the car or is it his perfume I don't get to dwell on it long when my reverie is broken by his voice '' aren't you cold in that jacket? take it off''. not a request a command. I stare at him open-mouthed what does he mean by that does he intend to make a pass at me? my inner feminist is awakened. how dare he ? the brute. '' you're gonna ruin my upholstery''. its as if he could see the indignation written on my face at the 'take it off' remark. I can feel my cheeks heat in embarrassment.  I mumbled out a yes and take my jacket off and his upholstery is beyond saving at this point. '' where to ?'' he asks me in that gruff manner. ''umm the nearest station you can find? i think''. he looks over to me with his steel grey eyes and repeats the question to me as if I'm a two-year-old '' Where (pause) to ?''. I point my chin skywards and say'' to the nearest station if you please''. he sighs in frustration and with a slow smile takes out his handset and calls a number which makes it ring in the interior of the car I can see him fish out a bluetooth from the glove box with his left hand and clip it on, all while I stare at his profile. Clayton wellington is a looker I can tell you that which a brown floppy hair and a square cut jaw which is now peppered with an evening shadow makes me wonder if it will be rough or soft to the touch. '' Ben Ms parker's address please''. I gasp, is he for real ?. I can't hear faint mutterings from the Bluetooth. '' that'd be all, thanks''. he pulls out the Bluetooth and chucks it in the glove box all while I stare open-mouthed. well if he wants to be an arse he can as I sit in silence for the rest of the journey seething with anger. as we begin to leave to central London behind and begin to enter my neighborhood it already midnight by then. and the rain hasn't let up and continues to pour reflecting the mood in the car at the moment. not a word has been said after the call. as I feel the car pull over I make a hasty retreat wish him goodnight and race up the stairs pull out my keys enter my apartment and slam the door and stand with the back to the door for a minute and contemplate that one hour of awkwardness in the car and slide down to the floor as my heart rate gets back to normal. I move to the window and I discreetly part my curtain to view if he's left. talk about stubbornness. Uggghhhh. what ? my eyes pop out he's still parked at the curb. why hasn't he left?. there is a knock on the door. this startles me I slap my hand on my chest. who can it be?. I lift the baseball bat off the corner of my door and stand on my tippy toes to peer into the peephole and see my boss outside. shit. fuck. shit. I drop the baseball bat and simultaneously open the door and in the process the bat lands on my toe and i feel pain shoot up my leg with a steady throbbing in my toe and i yelp in pain as I stare at my composed boss who has a look of bewilderment on his face as he sees he hopping around while holding my toe trying to ease the pain. ''well Ummm is there something I can help you with'' I ask with obvious irritation in my voice. he grunts and hands me my jacket. I want the ground to open and swallow me up the second time in the last two hours have I embarrassed myself in front of him today. this day just gets better and better. '' Ummm thanks do you wanna come in ?''. why? why? why?. why did I say that my brain to mouth filter has gone on a vacay it seems. he simply nods his head wishes me a gruff ''night'' and leaves and I watch him walk down the stairs all while I watch his retreating back walk into the darkened stairwell. well, let's call that a day as I feel a soft body curl around my leg meowing to get my attention. ''hey you lil guy lets get you fed'' I say to my Scottish breed of a cat as I shut the door.