"I am too, Bonnie, but we gotta keep it down," I said, looking back to see Jack watching from the stairs, "Come on."

We started back over towards him.

"Now," I said, "You've got to tell how you and Izzy pulled off that act."

"Well, it wasn't all that hard," she said, "I called Dusty and he called the football team manager, Jimmy."

"Why him?"

"Well, you see, Jimmy owes Dusty a favor since Dusty kept his mouth shut after finding out Jimmy's little secret. Anyway, Jimmy called one of his girlfriends and she called her other boyfriend. His 2nd cousin is talking to a girl who's brother is going steady with Izzy Hale's best friend. She got me Izzy's number, and, within ten minutes of me calling her, Izzy was at your door."

"I don't know whether to hug you or smack you," I laughed.

"Everything alright?" Jack asked as we walked back up to them.

"Perfect," I said, giving Bonnie a look.

Jack rested his arm around my shoulder again, and the four of us walked into the school.

~

In Human Ethics, I sat alone at my table working on the essay. Across the room, the door swung open.

"Mr. Hale," Mr. McDaniel said, and many people turned around to glance at me, "Nice of you to join us."

"Aw," Rider smirked, "I didn't realize how much you missed me, Teach."

"Hm, indeed. Take your seat."

People turned in their chairs as Rider strode in, their heads following him as he plopped down next to me. Eyes lingered on the two of us, a couple people beginning to whisper amongst themselves. I noticed Chrissy peaking over her shoulder, too.

I waited there, reading over my words while Rider pulled out one of our library books. Close to the end of class, Rider slipped his hand under the table and grabbed hold of mine. He held it for a moment, stroking the top of my fingers before giving it a quick squeeze. Rider then stood up and walked towards the front of the room. He grabbed an empty chair and pulled it up to Chrissy's desk, sitting in it backwards right next to her. Glancing up, I saw him talking with her while her red lips pulled up into a big smile. When the bell rang, I got up and left Rider behind.

~

At lunch, I sat down with Bonnie and Dusty.

"Did he do it?" Bonnie asked.

"Yeah, he did," I said.

"What's going on?" Dusty asked, looking between us.

"You'll see," Bonnie replied with a pat to his shoulder.

"Hey, how about you guys meet me and Jack at Freddie's tonight. Say, about 7:00?" I asked.

"Okay, what are you two up to?" Dusty asked.

"Don't worry," Bonnie said, "Nothing too bad."

Bonnie and I shared a knowing look, of which Dusty caught.

"Oh, boy," he sighed.